Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 01:14 PM

Over 70s Driving Licence

As I am a couple of months away from my seventieth birthday, last week I received notification that I required to apply to have my driving licence renewed.

Enclosed with the letter was an application form, but I opted instead to apply online. This I did on Sunday and today I have received my new (first photographic) licence.

Very efficient, I have to admit, but am I the only one to think how easy the process is? I was only asked to complete a few General health questions, nothing else. Nor was there anything regarding any road accidents in which I could have been involved.

I have always been amazed by the fact that certain people are permitted to be behind the wheel. Now I know why!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 02:51 PM

Re: Over 70s Driving Licence

LT renewed my licence a couple of years ago when I reached 70 and because I don't have a passport I had a big problem getting anyone to witness my photograph .
I have been retired for many years and don't use/know sufficiently well any of the following deemed appropriate witnesses....

Accountant
Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
Assurance Agent of Recognised Company
Bank/Building Society Official
Barrister
Broker
Chairman/Director of Limited Company
Chemist
Chiropodist
Christian Science Practitioner
Commissioner of Oaths
Councillor: Local or County
Civil Servant (permanent)
Dentist
Engineer (with professional Qualifications)
Fire Service Official
Funeral Director
Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised
Company
Journalist
Justice of the Peace
Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the
Institute of legal secretaries)
Local Government Officer
Manager/Personnel Officer (of Limited Company)
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy Officer
Minister of a recognised religion
Nurse (SRN and SEN)
Officer of the armed services (Active or Retired)
Optician
Person with Honours (e.g. OBE MBE etc)
Photographer (Professional)
Police Officer
Post Office Official
President/Secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army Officer
Social Worker
Solicitor
Surveyor
Teacher, Lecturer
Trade Union Officer
Travel Agency (Qualified)
Valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members
of the incorporated society)
Warrant officers and Chief Petty Officers.
...also I don't like asking anyone for anything.

I was not allowed to ask the one person who knows me well my GP, my dentist was on extended sick leave so in the end I asked my neighbour who was a Warden in a home for the elderly, the application came back saying she was 'an unsuitable person '' to witness the application.

I then asked another neighbour a retired accountant who filled in the application incorrectly putting his birth date instead of the days date so I expected the application to be returned for a second time but it wasn't. I am hoping next time will be easier.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 03:20 PM

What a palaver for you, Meg. Fortunately I renewed my passport a couple of years ago and they were able to import my photo from that.

Better luck next time!
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 06:48 PM

I don't remember having to go through any of that....can't remember who witnessed it...but this time....before I turn 76...the form is so simple, just tick a couple of boxes ,sent the driving licence away and got the new one back in a couple of weeks...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 07:25 PM

When I reached 70 my application was also done online, very easy. Then on reaching the next milestone, three years' later, it was again also very easy. That's the same when renewing Road Tax or Vehicle Excise Duty, as I believe it's correctly known and is very easy online. Although that doesn't apply on one of my present cars as it's exempt.

There are however, certain 'hidden regulations' waiting to catch out the unwary Driving Licence applicant. When you agree to the online application made you are agreeing that your eyesight is within the legal requirements. I don't recall the exact wording but it's there somewhere. Also if you are not aware of medical conditions notifiable to the DVLA, then worth checking the link below. It's surprising what is on there, although many don't apply as the condition / disease is either slightly different or not bad enough.

Also be aware that if you previously held a licence with the category to drive vehicles weighing over 7 tonnes or those that could take more than the usual four or five passengers as in a car, I believe that is not automatically longer taken over onto your licence. You have to take a separate test (PSV?) or complete a different form (not sure which) to retain that category after the age of 70, allowing you to drive that particular group of vehicles:

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

It wasn't until having a heart attack that I knew of these requirements. Always wanting to have things done correctly and legally I informed my Insurance Company who alerted me to that government website. As it happened I was advised by my consultant I was not to drive for four weeks anyway so that was not a problem.

Then there is the legal requirement for your GP to inform the DVLA of any illness / condition that in his opinion makes it dangerous for you to drive, with or without your agreement or permission:

https://www.gponline.com/gps-obliged...rticle/1431313

Just to finish off there's another 'catch' for the unwary, it's the required renewal of the photograph on your licence after every ten years. It's reckoned there are many drivers who technically do not hold a valid up-to-date licence as they haven't renewed their photograph after ten years. The same applies to those who change their name, perhaps on marrying, or if a person's address changes:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...g-licence.html

Some of the links shown are not necessarily dated recently but they are, as far as I am aware, still valid. Always worth checking any of the regulations shown anyway, it's the responsibility of the driver to ensure everything is in place to legally drive a vehicle. Note: failing to follow some regulations can result in a £1,000 fine so worth checking out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 10:42 PM

I thought I might have mentioned it on here before, but I can't find it.
Back in November last year, I had to reapply for my licence as I'm diabetic and only have a 3-year licence.
I had to answer a medical questionnaire and made the mistake of being honest!
I have recently had an increase in intra-ocular pressure following an operation and was told by the eye hospital people that it could result in glaucoma.
Consequently, I declared 'suspected glaucoma' on the form.
That did it!
Licence suspended pending further examination.
They told me that they would arrange for an eye test at their favoured optician, Specsavers.
Three months later and nothing.
THREE MONTHS to arrange for an eye test!
So I made a formal complaint.
An 'almost instant' response - three weeks - resulted in an eye test, including a field test, which I passed. I thought I would because I was sure that my eyesight was fine.
Yesterday, I received a new licence!

Today, Marge and I went out in our new car which, of course, I had never driven. I was a bit wary because not only was it a new car, I hadn't driven for a long time. A great feeling of freedom again!
Marge put it away in the garage, though, because there are only a few inches to spare!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 11:40 PM

That's great news JB, I bet it felt good to be behind the wheel again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 12:33 AM

I have to have a DVLA eye test every 3 years for my license renewal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have to have a DVLA eye test every 3 years for my license renewal.
Yes, me too, but I understand the need.

I'm sure there are people out there who have been less than honest and one day an innocent will be killed due to someone's failing eyesight.

I'd hate to find that I'm permanently banned from driving, but I'd hate it even more if I were the person responsible for such a death.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2021, 06:29 AM

Hi

I am 70 just before Christmas.

It will be a nightmare for me.

It is a tick box exercise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top