Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 06:23 PM

Re: Do you read high fantasy?

Well I have heard different definitions of high fantasy.

One is that the story sees magic as a common thing and not done just in special moments. There is a high level of magic, races, objects, gods which interact in the lives of people,

A Song of Ice and Fire - would be a low fantasy as magic does not take precedence in people's everyday life. There is magic for sure but in special areas...the amount is low. The impact of magic does affect things but still not low not impacting everything.

Malazan- magic and fantastical races elements etc are very crucial and central to people affecting everyone. Magic absolutely affects the stories. Magical races are very prevalent. And their influence is immense.

I learned this by watching you tube explanation by Michael from Bitten by radioactive book intro to low and high fantasy...and just from my reading experience.

Fantasy is also broken down into several sub categories as well

Grimdark
Sword and Sorcery
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 06:44 PM

Mups

What fantasy books /series have you read?

And what do you like most about them?

Hope I did not confuse the definition of "high" fantasy.

Have you ever read Jim Booker- The Dresdan Files?

I recommend Malazan....but it is deep stuff.

If you like subtlety and schemes and heavy plot settings....then you will love this.

But it is pretty gruesome in its descriptions ...war, etc. yet I have never seen a better magic system......if you get into it....you will be hooked....just remember no matter what level of reader you are avid into fantasy or not .....you need to read these books slowwwwwwwwwwwly....everything is connected and you will not know many things at first but the aha moments will come. It is not a coming of age series on one character who is the hero.....Malazan is like no other. Seriously. There is no series out there like Malazan....maybe the Prince of Nothing by Bakker...or The Black Company...by Cook ....have some things ...but it is also Erikson's writing.

Steven Erikson is an archeologist and his world building is amazing. Growing up he played many D & D games with his friend Ian Esslemont and many of his ideas come from those.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 06:45 PM

correction Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by spincycle42 ->
Mups

What fantasy books /series have you read?

And what do you like most about them?

Hope I did not confuse the definition of "high" fantasy.

Have you ever read Jim Booker- The Dresdan Files?

I recommend Malazan....but it is deep stuff.

If you like subtlety and schemes and heavy plot settings....then you will love this.

But it is pretty gruesome in its descriptions ...war, etc. yet I have never seen a better magic system......if you get into it....you will be hooked....just remember no matter what level of reader you are avid into fantasy or not .....you need to read these books slowwwwwwwwwwwly....everything is connected and you will not know many things at first but the aha moments will come. It is not a coming of age series on one character who is the hero.....Malazan is like no other. Seriously. There is no series out there like Malazan....maybe the Prince of Nothing by Bakker...or The Black Company...by Cook ....have some things ...but it is also Erikson's writing.

Steven Erikson is an archeologist and his world building is amazing. Growing up he played many D & D games with his friend Ian Esslemont and many of his ideas come from those.

Thank you for trying to answer my question about the difference between High fantasy and Fantasty, spincycle, but unfortunately I am none the wiser.
Not to worry though. I had never heard fantasy called 'high' before, that is why I asked.

Sorry, but as you've probably gathered, it doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all, I guess that's why I haven't got a clue what you mean.

I have never liked things like Star Trek, Dr. Who, stories about Martians and Aliens landing etc . . - or is that science fiction? Is science fiction the same as fantasy?

I'd best leave it at that, but thanks for trying anyway.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 09:46 PM

no problem Mups thanks for your patience......everyone has their own interests

What genres do you read?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thank you for trying to answer my question about the difference between High fantasy and Fantasty, spincycle, but unfortunately I am none the wiser.
Not to worry though. I had never heard fantasy called 'high' before, that is why I asked.

Sorry, but as you've probably gathered, it doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all, I guess that's why I haven't got a clue what you mean.

I have never liked things like Star Trek, Dr. Who, stories about Martians and Aliens landing etc . . - or is that science fiction? Is science fiction the same as fantasy?

I'd best leave it at that, but thanks for trying anyway.
Mups, Sci-Fi & Fantasy are different, but they often overlap.
Anne McCaffrey said she wrote Sci-Fi not Fantasy, but most of her books about Pern were, to me, fantasy, until she brought in AIVAS, Artificial Intelligence Voice-Address System from the first landing on Pern. Discovered by the settlers many decades of turns (years) after. Then it was Sci-Fi.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 12:13 PM

Recently started rereading my Discworld collection.
I may consider having another look at the Gor novels.
I found Lord of the rings to be heavy going for little reward and George R R Martin to be like reading a phone directory.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by spincycle42 ->
By the way Minx....

It has taken quite a long time 2 years plus to get to the 10 book of WoT as I read this simultaneously with Malazan ....I know crazy....

Truth is I got to the 9th book of Malazan and I decided to start over from the beginning because I was reading the series way to fast and missed a whole lot....so when I went back last year in Oct it was like I was reading it for the 1st time.

Do you read books by tablet /kindle or literal physical pages?

Do you read more than one book at the same time?

I’ve just only ordered the first book and anticipate its delivery soon.
To be honest, I prefer the physical book but I am thinking of getting a Kindle. What’s your preference? I try to read one book at a time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 11:35 PM

Not a big fan of fantasy or SF but read LOTR when in my early 20s, I doubt I would read it again.

Later in life have enjoyed Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett very much and have read all of the latter's books several times and most of the former's. I collected most of Pratchett's books as hardback and a lot of first editions however I tend to read them on my Sony eReader and listen to them as audiobooks when I travel.

Not really sure what the difference between SF and Fantasy actually is but I presume it has something to do with magic.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2021, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Not a big fan of fantasy or SF but read LOTR when in my early 20s, I doubt I would read it again.

Later in life have enjoyed Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett very much and have read all of the latter's books several times and most of the former's. I collected most of Pratchett's books as hardback and a lot of first editions however I tend to read them on my Sony eReader and listen to them as audiobooks when I travel.

Not really sure what the difference between SF and Fantasy actually is but I presume it has something to do with magic.
I also have most if not all Terry Pratchetts books, in hard back paperback & some in audio & I have read most several times.Not sure if any are first editions, but I do have two hard backs signed by Sir Terry.

I always thought Sci-fi is advanced technology, space ships & that sort of thing. Fantasy is magic, unicorns, flying dragons & pastoral planets, like Anne McCaffrey's Pern, or Sir Terry's Discworld.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top