Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2021, 11:49 PM

Re: Do your words sometimes disappear when typing?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was so pleased when I finally ditched my old laptop because its keyboard was haunted. Sadly I think my new one is also haunted, perhaps even more so.
Just an afterthought LD, isn't the new computer under guarantee? If so couldn't you return it or at least ask the seller for some help in view of the problem?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:19 AM

I was so pleased when I finally ditched my old laptop because its keyboard was haunted. Sadly I think my new one is also haunted, perhaps even more so.

I am not one that can type without looking at the keys, so I know I am pressing the correct ones but sometimes, when I look up at what I have typed, I find that there are bits of words missing or in the wrong place. I might have typed a whole sentence but end up just seeing the last letter or the sentence halved or swapped around.

I know I must be touching certain keys by mistake but because I can't see the point where it all goes wrong, I don't know which keys they are.

Does anyone else suffer from this?
Only if the cats have fed the PC on invisible ink again!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I had been using a MacBook Pro but then bought a new one, both had touch pads and I was well used to the old one but the new one had a different 'feel' to it and at first I was highlighting the odd word or sentence by clicking or double clicking without realising it, the touch pad was that sensitive. Having got used to it now it's easy to use but it did take some time. Have you tried what I suggested previously as that may show you what you are doing even if that's accidentally?

Just highlight a sentence and then clicking and holding that down it's possible just to drag it somewhere else by then releasing it. On a Mac two clicks highlights a word and three will highlight a whole paragraph.
I see what you mean Baz, I didn't realise that could happen. It's a definite possibility as my hand brushes over the pad.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Oh yes. I get the normal typos where it turns out I hit the key next to the intended one, but sometimes when I look at what I've written there are letters in words that there is absolutely no rational explanation for. I've just come to accept it.
Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes. Aphasia. And it is frustrating.
Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes me. In my case it's because I can't type for toffee. I mostly have to check before I post. My keyboard hates it when I tap a key lightly & refuses to use it.

I did once have a key board that had a mind of it's own & when I typed a word it would add one on it's own, it was very weird & I freaked out thinking the ruddy thing was possessed & bought a new keyboard, I've not had that problem since though.
I am glad to hear is isn't just me
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Just an afterthought LD, isn't the new computer under guarantee? If so couldn't you return it or at least ask the seller for some help in view of the problem?
It is under guarantee Baz but I know deep down that it is something I am doing wrong. I have just increased the sensibility of the pad due to my 'middle finger' problem , so I might put it back to how it was.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-06-2021, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Only if the cats have fed the PC on invisible ink again!
That wouldn't surprise me. Tirzah looks so innocent.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 12:31 PM

..only when I fall asleep at the computer and think I have posted something when I haven't
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

25-06-2021, 01:45 PM

Check you haven't got a computer virus. I'm using Eset these days, as it seems very effective when trying to watch movies for nowt. I subscribe to Sky, prime, Netflix, etc, but occasionally there are things not available on each. So my antivirus has been indispensable.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 02:00 PM

What's odd is that when I purposely try to recreate the problem, I can't. ??
Predictive Text?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 02:30 PM

It is under guarantee Baz but I know deep down that it is something I am doing wrong. I have just increased the sensibility of the pad due to my 'middle finger' problem , so I might put it back to how it was.
It does take a while to get used to a touchpad, even though I had been using one before it took some time. Also there are different parts of the touchpad that perform different tasks as does the use of one or two digits. I also have a 27" iMac with a 'Magic Mouse', that by comparison is a real pain to use, possibly as I don't use it much since retiring anyway. The laptop is in daily use, the touchpad is the best of the two. By the way is it a Windows machine or a Mac you have? If it's a Mac then it might be worth posting on the Apple forums website or even calling the Apple support helpline, they are very good if help is needed.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top