Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 01:42 PM

Re: Bottles of Lager & Sell By Dates!

Sell by and use by dates are an absolute joke usually for sealed containers such as bottles or tins or dry goods such as rice and pasta, they last for years with little or no deterioration in quality. Manufacturers are forced by law to put these dates on but as a happy consequence it just so happens to assist sales as people throw away the older containers.. or do I seem a little cynical...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There was a crate of bottled Lager, in the corner of my Patio.

It had been there, because it wasn't what the Lager drinkers wanted, for well over a year!

The sell by date/ use by dates were long past.

I took it all down to the Bottle Bank, at Sainsbury's.

Having thrown some empty bottles into the bins, I thought I'd better not put the sealed bottles in because who knows what all that lager would do if released.

So I stood it all, on the floor, next to the right bin.

10 minutes later, I swung by that bin, driving out of the car park, and noticed a whole group pf people gathered around the bottles & pushing and shoving to grab them.

I was going to shout that it was all well out of date, but I realised that bottles are easy to throw so I drove off.

Maybe I did it wrong?
Yes, you did. You should drunk the beer first.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 02:12 PM

The money wasted by people chucking out food because it says it on the tin, or packaging is scandalous.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
The money wasted by people chucking out food because it says it on the tin, or packaging is scandalous.
I wouldn't do it so much with dried or tinned foods, but fresh stuff I do pay attention to. I'm not brave enough to risk being that ill really.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, you did. You should drunk the beer first.
If I'd liked the stuff, I'd have supped it years back!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 03:35 PM

If I'd liked the stuff, I'd have supped it years back!

Good point.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I wouldn't do it so much with dried or tinned foods, but fresh stuff I do pay attention to. I'm not brave enough to risk being that ill really.
When we were sorting out the cupboards prior to moving I found an unopened packet of pasta that was 2 yrs past its best before date. Not wanting to waste it, V cooked up a ragu to go with it but the pasta was really horrible. The remains of the packet went straight in the bin.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
When we were sorting out the cupboards prior to moving I found an unopened packet of pasta that was 2 yrs past its best before date. Not wanting to waste it, V cooked up a ragu to go with it but the pasta was really horrible. The remains of the packet went straight in the bin.
Ah! The Pasta Best Before By Date!

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 04:41 PM

Ah! The Pasta Best Before By Date!

Oh dear. Very droll.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 04:47 PM

We bought a huge stack of dog food just before the very first lockdown last year. Unfortunately it had an adverse effect on the poor pup, so it sat there and sat there. I tried giving it away to neighbours who had dogs (this was good stuff, none of your own brand), and they refused it saying their dog was used to Aldi/Lidl/own brand etc. So its still sitting there, and I'm chucking it out this weekend because its out of date now...well last month it became old. Cannot abide wastage, but everything was locked down, and I couldn't give it to the local shelter because they required it to be delivered and I don't drive. Plus covid rules, etc.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top