Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 09:34 PM

Re: For the sake of the children

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I had the pleasure of meeting up with a long time friend whom I had not seen face to face due to the restrictions, During our chat I sensed that she seemed rather 'down' To cut a long story short, it seems she and her husband of 30+ plus years had only been staying together for the sake of the children and now they are still doing that for the sake of the it grandchildren.

I feel so sad for her and wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
I have. Was not pleasant. It's past .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I agree, and have long since divorced....I am so much happier.
RN, l am very happy for you as it takes a lot of guts and tears to end a marriage.
I would say, divorce is the worst thing, especially for children as it isn’t fair for them to be caught up in it all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I believe it is better to come from a broken home than to live in one - so, no, I would not stay with someone I could no longer love or respect just 'for the sake of the children'. In fact children are often more resilient than we give them credit for.

My thoughts exactly, Tabby.

Many years ago, when my marriage was over, I explained to Mum & Dad we were splitting up and Mum's first reaction was worry about our young son.

I clearly remember I said to her exactly what you've just said Tabs - "Better to come from a broken home than to live in one."
In my view it is better for kids to live with one parent who loves them, than live in a bad atmosphere with two who are always arguing.

I still believe that to be true.

I think because we split before things got too acrimonious, we were happy to stay in touch and remain good friends for the next 40 odd years or so, until he sadly died not long ago. And in all those years, even after divorce, he still remembered my birthday every single year!
I still miss him in a lot of ways.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
It sounds to me that they are just looking for excuses to stay together. They will be claiming it's for the sake of the cat next.

Seems like that to me too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
As resilient as children may be, they also have a lot of problems in ways adults would not even think of, unless those adults are also from broken homes. What often seemed to be very trivial to me, my offspring have informed me was a very big deal to them, emotionally. None of what happens with children when marriages break down is helped when the parent with custody tries all ways to prevent any relationship with the other parent. That screws children up emotionally and there's nothing the absent parent can do to prevent it, even the Courts and their welfare officers will not help. The absent parent even risks losing any contact with the children, that is (or was in those times) quite obvious from the way custody was awarded.
I would never do that without good reason. It would not be fair.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
RN, l am very happy for you as it takes a lot of guts and tears to end a marriage.
I would say, divorce is the worst thing, especially for children as it isn’t fair for them to be caught up in it all.
Artie, my ex and I stayed the best of friends and jointly backed each other when raising the children. For us, it worked out. The kids knew not to push either of us. We both remarried, he passed away at a young age. My 2nd marriage ended in divorce after 12 years but there were no children, just no longer in love, so left.

I have been happily single for over a decade. It was the right decision for me.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
It sounds to me that they are just looking for excuses to stay together. They will be claiming it's for the sake of the cat next.
I don't understand why any couple would stay together for the sake of grandchildren, but there must be loads of couples who still stop together for financial reasons, or out of habit.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I don't understand why any couple would stay together for the sake of grandchildren, but there must be loads of couples who still stop together for financial reasons, or out of habit.
Some people just put up with a miserable relationship until staying becomes harder than leaving.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I think that is one of the main reasons Eccles .

Having got rid of our two older siblings,when sent to church twice every sunday to get us out of the way, my sister and I used to pray that our evil stepmother would disappear so we could be spared a continuing life of emotional and physical abuse from her . Unfortunately she wasn't going to let go of her newly acquired home and meal ticket .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top