Join for free
View Poll Results: If there were a GE soon and you didn't have to vote tactically who would you vote for
Labour 2 4.44%
Tory 18 40.00%
Brexit Party 13 28.89%
Lib Dem 3 6.67%
Green 4 8.89%
Other 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Re: Quick Poll

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Will someone tell me how do i vote tactlicly what do you mean
Hi Susan

Tactical voting is an important part of the voting system simply because the voting system is a poor and devisive one. The voting system DOES not simply add up all the individual votes across the country for each party.

What is does is take each constituency separately and considers the votes for each party WITHIN each constituency.

Your first step is to go to this link below which lists the election results for each constituency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies

Find your constituency in that list and click on it. You will then see on the page the breakdown of how people voted in your constituency at the election.

As an example take a look at the Preston results

You can see the resultls were :

Labour 24,210
Cons 8,487
UKIP 1,348
Lib 1,204
Green 348

This is what's called a "safe seat"

The support for Labour is overwhelming and it can be seen that however the other people vote they will never come close to Labour's votes even if they all clubbed together to vote Conservative.

Now go take a look at the results for Peterborough:

Lab 22,950
Con 22,343
Lib 1,597
Green 848

Here you can see that Labout narrowly won the seat by just a few 100 votes.

Now if you were normally a Lib Dem voter here you can see that voting Lib Dem is a totally wasted vote. The Peterborough people predominently vote Labour or Conservative so Lib Dems are never going to win.

Now let's also suppose that even though you are a Lib Dem supporter, you do also have preferences of the other parties. For example suppose that above all else you absolutely don't want a government run by Old Compo Corbyn. You want the Lib Dems to win, but theres zero chance of it in this constituency so instead, you can use your vote for tactical purposes. Since you can't help the Lib Dems, what you CAN do instead is vote Conservative. What that does is STOP Labour from winning the seat.

In the context of BrExit this will come down to whether you want us to get on with leaving the EU properly or whether you want us to Remain.

If you want to Leave then you need the Tories and / or BrExit Party to win the election.

In the above scenario for Peterborough, even though you might normally vote Lib Dem, you would tactically vote for Conservatives to ensure the Tories win this Peterborough Constituency.

You need to look at the numbers for your own constituency and weigh up the options. Remember the BrExit party will now be a new party that you can vote for.

If the Tories normally get very few votes in your constituency and if you want us to Leave the EU properly, then vote for the BrExit party instead or failing that vote for another party that usual gets plenty of votes but which isn't a party that wants to overturn the referendum result (Lib Dems).

In short, for Leavers it's Tories or BrExit party and if neither of those has a chance in their constituency then a tactical vote to keep Labour and Lib Dems out.

Hope that helps
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Thank you Judd and Thank you Realist

Well I never knew it was so complicated and needed such thought.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Voting tactically it would be brexit party but in a proper normal time election I think I would would put a cross by the green candidate.Mainly because everytime I hear them speak they seem to have some good/new ideas about many of the ills of our society. I also like their leadership structure. it gives me hope people can work together to a common aim.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Voting tactically it would be brexit party but in a proper normal time election I think I would would put a cross by the green candidate.Mainly because everytime I hear them speak they seem to have some good/new ideas about many of the ills of our society. I also like their leadership structure. it gives me hope people can work together to a common aim.
I might have considered voting for the Green Party myself Julie, but in their quest to save the planet many jobs have been lost. Pressure on the government to get rid of diesel engines means most big motor manufacturers are moving their engine assembly plants elsewhere in the world. And we could do with our own energy supply that shale gas would provide instead of going cap in hand to the French....

The difference that going all electric will make on our small island is negligible when you consider the amount of lorries and ships circulating our planet. It might make our own environment marginally cleaner here and there but it's effect on global changes will be non-existent and at what cost to the working population. Home grown industry is what makes a successful country.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Brexit Party just to get it all sorted and finished with.
There would then need to be another election because the Brexit Party only have one purpose.
All a vote for the Brexit party would do is split the conservative vote, which would then guarantee a Labour or LibDem win, as proved in the recent by election... A vote for Brexit then, is in fact a vote for the complete opposite...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I might have considered voting for the Green Party myself Julie, but in their quest to save the planet many jobs have been lost. Pressure on the government to get rid of diesel engines means most big motor manufacturers are moving their engine assembly plants elsewhere in the world. And we could do with our own energy supply that shale gas would provide instead of going cap in hand to the French....

The difference that going all electric will make on our small island is negligible when you consider the amount of lorries and ships circulating our planet. It might make our own environment marginally cleaner here and there but it's effect on global changes will be non-existent and at what cost to the working population. Home grown industry is what makes a successful country.
While I agree it's their ideas about housing that interest me most. Anything eases the problems people have in that direction can only help.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:45 PM

No point voting, it only encourages them. Politicians in this country now seem to be infected with either an African or South American political virus, there doesn’t seem to be one honest politician left in this land.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 03:18 PM

I haven't voted as I no longer trust any of them.
As I said in another thread, I am ashamed to live in a country that is governed by these people.
I don't think Brexit will affect me too much, I voted leave because I cared about the future for younger members in my family, but I am now prepared to accept that it wont happen and the people's choice is being ignored.
If this is the best that British government can offer, I will just accept that democracy is dead....so not vote for anybody!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 05:09 PM

With you on that Twink, a sorry state of affairs.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Five people have voted but it's only myself who has actually given a reason, Reality1.
Odd that
I'm here Floydy. Brexit Party for me too. They are the only ones that I trust with Brexit. It would be nice if they were in a position to do something about it, but there we are.
Having to still pin my faith in Boris. GO BORIS!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top