Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Re: Fantasy or Nightmare???

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Is it possible for Godwin's Law to be "called out" in a opening post .....
Youve got me there Omah? Never heard of Godwin or his
law! Maybe l missed something as l have been out of uk
for 40yrs?

Regards Donkeyman!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Youve got me there Omah? Never heard of Godwin or his
law! Maybe l missed something as l have been out of uk
for 40yrs?

Regards Donkeyman!
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nazi_analogies

Godwin's Law was formulated by attorney Mike Godwin, former general counsel for the Wikimedia Foundation, in the 1990s, and states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
Traditionally in many Internet discussion forums, it is the rule that once such a comparison is made, the discussion is effectively finished and whoever mentioned Hitler or the Nazis has automatically lost the debate.

In effect, the rule implies completely losing one's sense of proportion.
So, unless the OP is factually correct, it falls under Godwin's Law, which usually only applies in a longer discussion, when a poster has fallen on a last resort.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:45 PM

So, unless the OP is factually correct, it falls under Godwin's Law, which usually only applies in a longer discussion, when a poster has fallen on a last resort.
Thanks for the info and the nexplanation Omah, l find it
very interesting, l shall need time to consider bthe info
further before replying?

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

06-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Well, l think it can be assumed that the Nazi/ Hitler statement IS
factually correct Omah?
As regards the length of time of the discussion goes, l think 3yrs
is long enough for anyone? Allthough l suppose the nazi anology
has not taken up the entire time?
However the post was posed as a rhetorical question rather than a
statement of facts,!
So l dont see how it falls under Goodwins Law?

Regards Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Is it possible for Godwin's Law to be "called out" for an opening post .....
I say no. In addition I agree with it. This is not going to end well.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

06-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I say no. In addition I agree with it. This is not going to end well.
Hi Todgy! what do you agree with?

Regards Donkeyman!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:32 PM

As a fantasy, I think Boris fills the role of "The Pied Piper" in so many ways.

He's walking along, playing his tune, and many of us are following, like children, hoping for the best.

Like in the original Tale, the rats are coming out and being dispatched.

Some of these fairy tales don't mean much, to us, but will come to mean a lot in a situation such as we have here.

Good luck to him. I hope he finishes the job!

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Boris is completely useless as the general public mostly thought anyway.
He is PM solely because he's a character, rather like being in a workplace where the loud and mouthy tend to stand out - not because they are good at their job but because they are 'characters'.
He's a bumbling fool who gets tongue-tied at the slightest awkward question and engages mouth rather than brain, which impresses nobody.
I agree Floydy, I think if it was Farage in his place, being far more charismatic and able to mesmerize a crowd, it would be far more dangerous.
We can at least see Boris is foolish when he's trying to be a popular leader rather than sinister.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think the present situation in our HOC has turned into a
story of how one persons fantasies can turn into a lot of
peoples nightmares?
We have a parliament that has been taken over by one mans
fantasy to take power, and now has run amok creating new
laws on a whim and changing existing laws at will in the
fantasy of overturning the peoples decision!
unfortunately the fantasy has bewitched most of parliament
and has transformed into OUR nightmare which we so far
are unable to wake up from?
The nearest anology l can think of is Hitler just before
WW2 and how the german people got swept away by their
nightmare!
Would you agree??
Assuming you are attempting to compare Boris Johnson to Hitler, then, no I do not agree.

We have had three or more years of a treacherous EU operative masquerading as our prime minister. Needless to say, her lies have become patently clear to us all now and, as a consequence, she has been ejected from her position.

Her replacement was elected, I agree, not by the people but by the rest of her party. Should there be a general election right now, I'm pretty sure that he would be elected to PM by the majority of the people. Despite all their bluster, Compo, the Limp Dems and all the odds and sods, are likely to receive collectively the support of less than half of the electorate.

Were it not for the fellow traitors of Maybot, Hammond and their cabal and, of course, her stupid decision to hold a GE before the time was ripe, the Conservatives would still have a working majority in the Commons.

Anyway, I digress. Contrary to your assertion, Parliament has not been taken over by one man's fantasy to take power, but by a collection of traitors to democracy.

Despite the people's wish to leave the EU by a clear majority, a large number of self-interested people not only within Parliament but also in businesses with financial interests in Europe and, most disagreeably, our once supposedly independent judiciary, have teamed together to take control of the country- unelected.

That is our real nightmare: the loss of our democracy.

I wonder how long this will continue. Hopefully, it will be driven to a reversal back to a true democracy, and independence from a foreign power, at the next general election.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 09:51 PM

If you were in parliament would you feel comfortable making a Law?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top