Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 09:18 PM

Re: Prison sentences for animal cruelty raised

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ey?

Catching him/her is only part of the problem.
I agree.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

13-10-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yesssssss! I think I’d kill ‘em myself if I could.
Anyone that could heard an innocent child or animal doesn’t deserve life.
So ok for you to harm and kill - but not others? Hmmmm
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
So ok for you to harm and kill - but not others? Hmmmm
It's called poetic justice.

The only form of justice that definitely works, in my humble opinion.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 03:57 PM

I think that if someone commits a crime, no matter against who or what and are given five years then they should serve five years and not let out after, say two, for being good whilst inside.If the crime was serious enough to warrant five years then five years it should be
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I think that if someone commits a crime, no matter against who or what and are given five years then they should serve five years and not let out after, say two, for being good whilst inside.If the crime was serious enough to warrant five years then five years it should be
I agree. The term should not be reduced for good behaviour; it should be increased for bad behaviour, and increased again for any repetition.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ey?

Catching him/her is only part of the problem.
They are not being dealt with adequately once they are caught is what Muddy meant.
But it is part of the problem which is what I was getting at.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It's called poetic justice.

The only form of justice that definitely works, in my humble opinion.

I think it is called hypocrisy
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-10-2019, 07:29 PM

I think it is called hypocrisy
How can it be hypocritical?

Poetic justice is repaying a criminal with a punishment exactly fitting the nature of his crime.

A yob who strikes someone on the face and breaks his nose would, in turn, be struck in the face until his nose is broken.

A pet owner who starves his animal until it suffers pain and illness should, in turn, be starved to the same extent.

A murderer should be hanged.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
How can it be hypocritical?

Poetic justice is repaying a criminal with a punishment exactly fitting the nature of his crime.

A yob who strikes someone on the face and breaks his nose would, in turn, be struck in the face until his nose is broken.

A pet owner who starves his animal until it suffers pain and illness should, in turn, be starved to the same extent.

A murderer should be hanged.

I would have thought it obvious why it is hypocritical - you punish someone for doing something by doing the same to them - yet you are not punished. How can that possibly be right. And hanging does not deter murderers - murders still occurred when this country had a death penalty.

Punishing someone for something by doing the same to them is clearly hypocrisy and also revenge.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-10-2019, 07:57 PM

I would have thought it obvious why it is hypocritical - you punish someone for doing something by doing the same to them - yet you are not punished. How can that possibly be right. And hanging does not deter murderers - murders still occurred when this country had a death penalty.

Punishing someone for something by doing the same to them is clearly hypocrisy and also revenge.
Not exactly. I would not be punishing anyone; a judge would, and hence the state.

When a judge sends someone to jail, does that necessitate the judge being sent to jail too?

As for hanging, there has been much debate on here about its effectiveness and claims that murder-rate was higher in Victorian days than it is today not only remain to be justified, but we must add to the argument that many people were desperately poor and hungry in those days, sometimes driving them to commit murder.

Also, I have shown elsewhere (I think it was on Facebook) that murder has increased enormously in London since hanging was stopped in the 1960s. Interestingly, it was a graph provided by an opponent to capital punishment that I used!

The other obvious advantage is that no-one has ever re-offended following hanging.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top