Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Hollywood's Brightest Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story

Available on BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...y-lamarr-story

Documentary about Hollywood wild-child Hedy Lamarr. Fleeing to America after escaping her Nazi sympathiser husband, Hedy Lamarr conquered Hollywood. Known as 'the most beautiful woman in the world' she was infamous for her marriages and affairs, from Spencer Tracy to JFK. This film rediscovers her not only as an actress, but as the brilliant mind who co-invented 1940's wireless technology.
I'd seen this before but watched it again last night.

Hedy became a ground-breaking inventor in her spare time between husbands, lovers, children and films, and despite the drugs that were the Hollywood vogue at the time.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Re: Hollywood's Brightest Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story

I recorded that from BBC4 last night. Even though I've seen it before, it's worth seeing again. Beauty as well as brains.

A pity that women's contributions to science aren't taught more in schools. Apart from perhaps Marie Curie, pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Emilie Du Chatelet and Grace Hopper are largely forgotten.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I recorded that from BBC4 last night. Even though I've seen it before, it's worth seeing again. Beauty as well as brains.

A pity that women's contributions to science aren't taught more in schools. Apart from perhaps Marie Curie, pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Emilie Du Chatelet and Grace Hopper are largely forgotten.
Without disclosing too much of the documentary to those who have yet to watch it, it's not only a disgrace that her torpedo communication invention wasn't recognised but deplorable that, despite its' later widespresd use, she wasn't paid for it.

I'll watch it again next year, too .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 11:43 PM

Torpedo?
It's a shame she couldn't put her talent to better use.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-10-2019, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Torpedo?
Well, saving the world (specifically the USA) from Japanese domination and occupation seemed important at the time .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 01:38 AM

Probably just me but regardless of who's side they are on.I find it hard to summon up respect for someone who can make a weapon more efficient at killing people.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-10-2019, 01:54 AM

Probably just me but regardless of who's side they are on.I find it hard to summon up respect for someone who can make a weapon more efficient at killing people.
Well, we won't call on you to save the world, then .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Torpedo?
She also sowed the seeds for WiFi and Bluetooth communications - systems that have revolutionised the world.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 12:28 PM

She was beautiful and very intelligent.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 12:57 PM

A beauty indeed

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20841_1438644319.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	10886  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top