Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Re: What Do You Do When, You No Understand?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Sometimes I smile and nod too and feel very uncomfortable . I don't like to make them feel bad by saying I don't understand them . It happened a work a whole back, someone came to ask me something and their English was terrible but I somehow managed to get what it was by deciphering the odd words and I was able help them.

I remember when lived in Spain a bloke we knew who spoke no Spanish used to use actions and spoke with his hands, it was very funny as the Spanish used to smile and nod and I knew they didn't have a clue what he was on about , I m chuckling at the memory.
I had a Chinese customer like that. I would go to his shop and he would try to explain what work he needed doing but using his hands and speaking Chinese. Eventually, we used to call in the Indian guy from next door who could sort of interpret a bit.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 02:31 PM

I'm usually OK talking face to face with people who have accents but most often can't understand them on the telephone. I have to hand the phone over to Mrs mart who has no trouble with them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
When I make a telephone call to a business,...if it's a foreigner that answers,with a very strong foreign accent...if I end up asking them to repeat...I take so much...then ask to speak to a English speaking person.

Must tell you a story...I have quite a broad Hampshire accent...there is also a guy I met..we both catch the same bus at the same time on certain days.

He is also from Hampshire ...when he talks,..I can not understand a word...it really gets frustrating because he doesn't shut up...from the time I meet him,till the time he gets off the bus...

I tried getting on at a different stop...he spotted me...then off we go again...yap...yap..yap....he's worse than me..
See..... that Disney costume really could come in handy.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 02:42 PM

I have the worst of both worlds. I'm a Scotsman, living in England, but I don't have a very strong Scots accent. Some people here pick up on it but many don't. And, when I go back to Scotland, they think I'm English.

But what irks me is when you call for technical support on almost anything you get an overseas call centre and the spoken English is...........I'm sure you all know what I mean.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Its normally the Scottish accent I can't understand, if I have to phone someone like Vodafone etc. and I can't understand them, then I just pass the phone to my Husband and let him deal with him.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 03:50 PM

The broad Cornish accent gets me. We, my family, had friends who were Cornish farmers. I could never understand a word the farmer said to me. He thought it hilarious & did it deliberately.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 08:42 PM

I just say "I can't understand you" with a smile.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I have the worst of both worlds. I'm a Scotsman, living in England, but I don't have a very strong Scots accent. Some people here pick up on it but many don't. And, when I go back to Scotland, they think I'm English.

But what irks me is when you call for technical support on almost anything you get an overseas call centre and the spoken English is...........I'm sure you all know what I mean.
and his name is usually John, yeah right I wonder why they pretend they are English when it's quite plain they are in India or Pakistan or somewhere, do they think we are stupid? John indeed!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Body language and the eyes say a lot as well as a smile.
If they smile a lot, I smile back. That’s good enough for me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have joined a group where l do Keep Fit and Tai Chi.
This morning whilst waiting for the class to start, a lady next to me started to chat.

He voice was quite low with a strong accent. I asked, ‘Are you Irish?’
‘No’, she replied, ‘l am from the Ukraine’.

She started talking more and honestly, l didn’t understand most of what she was saying. I could pick out some words but l’m not sure if l replied properly to what l thought l heard!

I found myself nodding, shaking my head and smiling but again, l didn’t know what l was responding to!

That's more or less exactly what happened to me.

Marge is in a choir who visit a German choir in a place called Lünen quite regularly. A couple of times I have gone along too.

I remember once sitting down to the very tasty snacks they offered us and, of course, we split up and sat with our German counterparts, most of whom, of course, speak good English.

I thought I'd make an effort, though, and tried to speak a little of my very limited German. The chap next to me, who had equally little English, was happy to hear that so, assuming I understood German very well, began rattling off ninety to the dozen giving me no opportunity to explain.

I, like you, just sat there nodding and looking interested, but not understanding a word.

In future, I'll try not to be so clever!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top