Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Re: Boris now Has to Send A Letter.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that Boris is very confident that, at least, one of the EU countries will toss in a veto.

Doesn't look like Ireland, but you could guess at others.
Never thought of that one Tedc, only because up until now, the 27 have been so united. Who knows what was thought up at the EU meetings with the other leaders? You may well be right, it only takes one country to veto the delay.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I don't think so TessA. He said that he would abide by the law, so he would not then break the law. No, I think he has something up his sleeve that supersedes the ruling of the court, whilst still complying with the ruling.

Only wish I knew what it was.
It seems to me, I may be wrong, that he is going to get a new vote on the act or bill they voted on today, he's probably going to have words in some ears to get it altered.
A second vote is not democratic is it?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm still watching, he is very good at his job, he will make sure everything is done in an orderly manner.
He won't let the weasels get away with their shenanigans. He is assuring well meaning MPs that Mogg will be brought to account for not doing his expected duty and has walked out leaving MPs confused as to what is expected of them on Monday!

Boris and Mogg have behaved disgracefully today.
Parliament itself is the disgrace TessA, but mark my words, they will eventually pay for their sins at the polling stations, whether it is a GE or a so-called traitorous peoples vote, when they haven't even actioned the first one.
There is real anger out here. One may well witness organised marches on the streets of the London bubble, but you will hear the roar of the silent majority when they get the opportunity to have THEIR voices heard when it really counts. Remainers are in for the shock of their lives.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 04:29 PM

What will happen if Boris doesn't write the letter,contempt of court? but the letter will still not have been written,what then.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
What will happen if Boris doesn't write the letter,contempt of court? but the letter will still not have been written,what then.
As I understand it, if he doesn't write it, someone else has to write it on his behalf.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-10-2019, 05:16 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the ruling that if Boris failed to get his meaningful vote for the deal through by way of voting, today being the deadline, he would have to send a letter asking for a delay. But... he did not let the vote go ahead because of Letwin's amendment, so doesn't that cancel out the amendment from both Benn and Letwin?

No doubt I'm talking through the top of my head, so if someone could put me right please. Because I'm hearing that after the vote, Boris looked directly at Corbyn with a glint in his eye.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Johnson has to send the letter by 11 pm tonight, if he doesn't someone else like the Speaker can be requested by the court to send it.

However, from what I am reading from the foreign correspondents although the EU will not refuse an extension (they won't want the blame for causing us to leave without a deal )but they will not be in any hurry to grant the extension which requires the approval of all the member states and that approval may take a long time to come......as late as 31st October

BREAKING NEWS France says new Brexit delay 'in nobody's interest': presidency
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 06:22 PM

I believe Boris Johnson is very confident in his position on not having a delay because it is my belief he has an ace up his sleeve, an EU country he knows or one that has privately given him assurances that they will veto an extension.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Johnson has to send the letter by 11 pm tonight, if he doesn't someone else like the Speaker can be requested by the court to send it.

However, from what I am reading from the foreign correspondents although the EU will not refuse an extension (they won't want the blame for causing us to leave without a deal )but they will not be in any hurry to grant the extension which requires the approval of all the member states and that approval may take a long time to come......as late as 31st October
Thanks for that Meg. It is a thought.

I wonder what will happen tonight. Will he? Won't he?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 06:35 PM

It's riveting!
It doesn't matter what you want to happen, it's so interesting at the moment.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top