Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Re: Drinking

I half watched the programme, if elderly people wish to have a drink at home that is up to them.

I like a glass of wine most days with my evening meal, just the one .
Being a hermit I rarely go out (except to the shops and babysitting ) and it is my bit of enjoyment.

I would drink more if I could afford it only wine nothing stronger.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 02:26 AM

In my whole life I have never touched a drop before the sun's over the yardarm, which for me is 9pm, not even when I've been on holiday. I do have a few glasses of wine every night, and I'm also a smoker, and I won't have anybody patronising me at my age to tell me it's not good for me.

Who cares? Like Bowie says, we all have to die of something, so we might as well enjoy what we do whilst we're here.

I have a few drinks to help me sleep. Look at the time now. Almost 2.30 a.m. and I'm shattered despite having had a very hard week at work, but I know if I didn't have these few drinks I wouldn't sleep because I have a very active mind. I always have and I can't shut down. It's either the wine, or I go on sleeping pills and for me, that's not an option.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Mollie it is true, the elderly are drinking more but not for the reasons people say, they are drinking to numb the mess that the younger generations are making of this country.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 07:37 AM

Bob do you honestly believe that?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2012, 02:04 PM

I might occasionally have one glass of wine at a birthday party and a Bailey's at Christmas but other than that I'm not the slightest bit interested in drinking.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 06:52 PM

I'm an alcoholic. I drink about 15 500ml cans of Grolsch every day. On Sundays I start around noon so I can drink more.
Strangely I don't seem to be putting on weight neither do I have brewer's droop.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hu99 ->
I'm an alcoholic. I drink about 15 500ml cans of Grolsch every day. On Sundays I start around noon so I can drink more.
Strangely I don't seem to be putting on weight neither do I have brewer's droop.
I was an alcoholic actually more like a drunk. My tipple was anything I could get my hands on and would make me drunk quickly.

I stopped drinking many years ago because I didn't need to shut life out anymore. However, my children find it hard to forgive that I numbed everything instead of doing something about it. (long story)

Now I find that my heavy drinking has caught up with me. I am overweight, I now have gallstones and suffer from acid reflux. Nothing too bad there then except a guilty concience and a lot of regret for time wasted drinking instead of making mylife better and the life of my children.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 05:17 PM

I find it ironic they say that elderly people are drinking too much which is damaging their health, yet they managed to get to an elderly age!!

If it were that bad surely they would have kicked the bucket before now.

I certainly do not watch what I drink and have a good few whiskeys every night with a cigar to end the day nicely. I probably exceed every drinking limit in the book but who cares, I am in my own house drinking whiskey I paid for, so why does the government give a toss?

I don't drink and drive, so the only person I harm (if indeed I do) is myself, same as when I smoke since I don't do it around non-smokers.

The government has the cheek to tax alcohol and cigarettes to high heaven then try and get you to stop buying them, what a load of manure!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Well Drunk

Twenty pints a night sometimes more,
And they never throw me out the door.
Never spill a drop, and I’m always stable,
Sometimes will find me under the table.

Come tomorrow lunch another good filling,
Another fifteen more without any spilling.
Because of the new law I am in the garden,
A lot of good burps and occasional pardon.

It’s not a bad living to get filled for free,
In the public house every night on a spree.
Take as many pints I like never on my ass
Because I am just an humble pint glass.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 07:09 PM

That was good.I only have a small whisky when I am feeling awfulI put hot water and a bit of sugar in to warm me. I stay away from Drink as I was around people who drank when I was young, it was what they did in those days.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top