Join for free
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 06:26 PM

New England Clam Chowder~

Thought this might warm us up a bit and make us feel better. My brother gave me a recipe that was wonderful but it calls for a pound of butter so I'll post this one and pass the other on to grand-children.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/new...mchowder.shtml
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Re: New England Clam Chowder~

A pound of butter
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2009, 09:43 PM

That recipe sounds great there is only two problems for me, one is my culinary skills or should I say 'lack of' and the other is that Czech Republic is a land locked country so shell fish are not readily available, you can get then in the big towns and cities but not where we are

I have had clam chowder a good few years ago, it was delicious
Trixybird
West Sussex
Trixybird is female  Trixybird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Adore chowder, thanks for recipe
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Devotees of New England Clam Chowder sneer at he Manhattan version, which I personally prefer, in fairness, going to post that recipe. Delicious!

* 2 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch squares
* 1/3 cup chopped onion
* 3 tablespoons diced (1/3 inch) green bell pepper
* 3 tablespoons diced (1/3 inch) celery
* 2/3 cup diced (1/3 inch) peeled boiling potato (1 small)
* 1 (8-oz) bottle clam juice
* 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (8 oz), including juice
* 1 1/2 dozen small hard-shelled clams (1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter; 2 pounds total), scrubbed well
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cook bacon in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in potato, bottled clam juice, and tomatoes (with juice) and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in clams and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until clams open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that after 10 minutes have not opened.) Remove pan from heat.

Remove most of clamshells with tongs, then detach clams and return them to chowder. (Keep a few in their shells for garnish.) Stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

I skip the parsley.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Devotees of New England Clam Chowder sneer at he Manhattan version, which I personally prefer, in fairness, going to post that recipe. Delicious!

* 2 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch squares
* 1/3 cup chopped onion
* 3 tablespoons diced (1/3 inch) green bell pepper
* 3 tablespoons diced (1/3 inch) celery
* 2/3 cup diced (1/3 inch) peeled boiling potato (1 small)
* 1 (8-oz) bottle clam juice
* 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (8 oz), including juice
* 1 1/2 dozen small hard-shelled clams (1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter; 2 pounds total), scrubbed well
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cook bacon in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in potato, bottled clam juice, and tomatoes (with juice) and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in clams and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until clams open wide, 8 to 10 minutes. (Discard any clams that after 10 minutes have not opened.) Remove pan from heat.

Remove most of clamshells with tongs, then detach clams and return them to chowder. (Keep a few in their shells for garnish.) Stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

I skip the parsley.
Thanks Eileen, that sounds delicious.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2009, 11:34 PM

I regret I'm not a lover of any shellfish...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top