Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 12:21 AM

Vegetable stock idea ...re-use it?

I was thinking about how people always say you lose the goodness when you boil veg, so wondered, would there be any benefit to re use vegetable stock? Perhaps starting of with bottled (not tap) water first - then when done keep the stock, then refrigerate until needed (usually the next day) then use it next time to boil veg.

Wonder if that would help keep more of the goodness? Maybe it would be possible to then drink it? lol I know it sounds yuck but I put some in Rockys bowl the other day with an old bone, and when I went back in the kitchen he went straight to it and drank it all up (it had cooled by then) and so that's when I thought of this idea!

I wonder how long it would keep for if reused like this? Gotta be better than tap water right?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 12:25 AM

Re: Vegetable stock idea ...re-use it?

You could always freeze it, Azz .... then use it as and when you want.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 12:38 AM

The amount of veg I eat (every day) I prob wouldn't need to

So it's ok to re-use it? How many times over could I use it? And do you reckon there will be any 'health' benefit from doing so?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Interesting idea, Azz. But don't re-use the water you soak dried beans in overnight (or the quick soak) as that collects the gaseous forming elements. I occasionally use the vegetable cooking water on houseplants .... after it's cool, of course.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 01:09 AM

The only vegetables I boil are potatoes,everything else I steam in steaming basket like this one from Amazon...

..it fits in any sized pan and you add boiling water to the bottom and a lid to the pan to keep the steam in .
All the goodness stays in the vegetables and they tase so much better than when they are boiled.
Because I am only cooking for one person most of the time there is room to cook a variety of vegetables in the basket (starting with the ones which take the longest) .Vegetables cook very quickly this way too,eg sliced carrots take 10 mins and broccoli 5.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 01:16 AM

When Dad was first diagnosed with diabetes in 1928 he was put on a special diet to remove all the sugar from his system and given insulin which was then a trial drug.
The diet consisted of a week on boiled cabbage water and nothing else . Poor Dad was starving and secretly payed a man on the same ward 6d for the fat off his meat.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-11-2009, 02:48 AM

Steaming is good - but I'm lazy and I just put my chopped veg (and sometimes with rice) in a tin, half fill with water then cover and slap it in the oven. It's handy cos fish or chicken (in the oven) takes 35 mins or so and so the veg gets done the same time
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 11:50 AM

You could boil down the liquid to concentrate it, then freeze it in ice-cube trays so you can use just a little at a time
You could (should!) use it to make soup
Some are OK as 'bouillon'. Water you have cooked broccili/purple sprouting in collects a lot of colour and taste. Add a good twist of pepper and it is very palatable
The 'boiling every day' idea is back to the old-fashioned stock-pot, isn't it? Although the boiling would prevent putrefaction I can't think it really does a lot for the vitamin/trace element content.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-11-2009, 04:57 PM

You know what I'm gonna say next.... gimme some soup recipes please!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Oh Azz - there's nothing easier; it could be your lunch every day through the winter.

Start with onions sweated down in oil and carry on from there. Potato and leek finely chopped, sweat down for a little while. Add stock, pinch of mixed herbs, pepper - simmer till cooked (about 20 minutes)
Ass more potato and leek, a little less stock, cook, add a little milk or cream and process - creamy soup!
Onion, celery, carrot softened in oil, add stock, cook. Add any other veg knocking around, or leftover rice/pasta.
Couple of pieces of neck of lamb (on the bone) browned gently with onion and carrot, add stock (not to veggy tasting) and pearl barley. Takes a while to cook the barley. Add cubes of potato 30 minutes before you want to eat. Thicken with cornflour if you wish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top