Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Pasta sauce recipes please!

Hey guys! Got any pasta sauce recipes?

Hopefully ones that don't need anything from a tin/jar and ones that don't include tomatoes or cheese. Ie low fat natural stuff if you can think of anything

I'm determined to go back on my detox! just need some new recipes!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 01:22 AM

Re: Pasta sauce recipes please!

Home made Pesto without the cheese

I like pasta with just garlic , a good olive oil, chopped fresh basil and lots of black pepper.

I also like pasta with lemon juice and sugar a bit like a pudding..
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 02:30 AM

Lol, think I'll pass on the lemon juice and sugar one but would love the first two recipes Meg!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 03:20 AM

I love pesto, but do use a commercial one, but it's organic. There is cheese in it, but not so much that you'd really notice it. Do you know how much basil you'd need to make your own? Lots and lots!!! Carli, an Italian import is good, and is real Genoa pesto with pine nuts, not one of the cheaper ones that substitute walnuts.

All my other pasta sauce recipes are tomato based, so can't help there.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Here's an easy peasy one Azz.
Put your pasta on to cook (I like linguine but it doesn't matter which)
Heat a good dollop of olive oil in a pan and gently cook a couple of cloves of garlic (chopped). If you've got an onion open and needing used up, then you could put in about an eighth of a medium onion, very very finely chopped. Add 3 or 4 medium mushrooms, sliced, lots of pepper and whatever herb you fancy. I find a pinch (just a pinch) of dried thyme is nice. Just let it cook very gently and you should find the pasta and mushroom mix are ready at the same time. Drain the pasta well and add it to the mushroom mix. Stir it well round the pan, so you 'mop up' all the lovely taste. If it looks a bit dry pop another spoonful of oive oil on it.

Enjoy - and adjust the amount of garlic and the herb used till you find the perfect balance for you
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Can I leave out the mushrooms? (not allowed on detox)

Will have to give it a go if so!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Yes of course - that would just be garlic pasta but it would be nice.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Cool will give it a go after getting some thyme in (don't think I've used that before)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Cool will give it a go after getting some thyme in (don't think I've used that before)
Fresh thyme is lovely. Do you have room to grow some herbs, in pots outside or on a good sunny windowsill come Summer? Thyme, oregano and basil are very easy and add a nice touch to dishes/salads, etc.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-11-2009, 09:23 PM

I would love to grow my own herbs! Hope you guys post some pointers nearer summer (or whenever the best time is to start growing them here).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top