Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 01:44 AM

Re: We are doomed I tell you - doomed!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Same here May, although I drive and have earnt a living out of it in the past, I carefully recycle all my waste, but we are now being told that only 50% of plastic is recycled. Sure, we build wind farms and install solar panels so we don't burn fossil fuel anymore, but air traffic almost doubles every year. So we just burn fossil fuel differently now.

I'm not going to sit in a corner holding my head and wondering why the river Euphrates has dried up. There are places in the world that are becoming inhabitable.......As well as some uninhabitable places becoming habitable. Perhaps it's natures way of keeping humans from overpopulation.

So what do you suppose we can do about it Puddle Duck?
The problem as I see it is that people just don't realise how big the world is, and we have minimal effect on it's evolution. Perhaps locally, but certainly not globally. Earthquakes and volcanoes are unfortunately out of our control. The biggest recorded explosion ever recorded was when Krakatoa lost the last few thousand feet of it's summit.

It put so much ash into the atmosphere that days turned into night even in London.....It pumped out more CO2 than man has produced since the beginning of time.....And mother nature sorted it out......Now tell me that we have brought armageddon down on our heads....
Firstly I'll tell you what I see. I see that a number of comments on here are referring specifically to this country and a locality to individuals. I also see that people are taking my comments as personal , but if you read my post s again, there are no personal accusations or finger pointing. . . So to get back to the 'globe' and the impact that mans meddling with nature is having ;
Rivers drying up ..... many due to dams being built.
Severe droughts for years
African rain forests being destroyed for furniture, and various other luxurious good.
Palm Oil forests decimated for produce .
Over fishing in the oceans for whale, shark and other vastly reduced species.
Increase in carbon emissions when the earth can only absorb so much.
Pollution , pesticides and waste the world over .
Coral reefs dying.
Animals that have been on this planet for 100,000's yrs have been virtually wiped out in the last 100 yrs.
It's serious !
I could continue but no doubt those who do not see that the balance of nature is severely upside down, will not agree.
No rivers - no fish. or breeding grounds, No palm oil forest - no orangutan, no trees- no rain. Polluted seas, dying fish, no bees- ??
So many more, that when included in the amazing way the whole eco system works, and how we as humans have taken everything from the lands and put nothing back, it's hardly surprising that it's beginning to creak under the huge demands for resources we have and have taken for granted. It still doesn't stop and no lessons have been learnt from those who have been forecasting the arising problems for years (prophecies ! ) .

One major thing we can all do is stop buying packaged items in the supermarkets. Only then will supermarkets come up with an alternative way to shop. We can also refrain from purchasing items with palm oil in them.

That's a small gesture but you have not mentioned anything positive for our planets future , which was the question I asked.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I bought an air cooler UJ specifically for a spare bedroom where my grandkids sleep when they stay. It cost over £100 and I have to admit it is a total waste of money...it works using water and ice packs....rubbish, it makes no impact on the room temperature whatsoever... I'm surprised yours works so well.. I would not recommend them at all.
we tried them once in OZ too - imagine the success?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
How do we do that ?
cut the tubes of course!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-08-2018, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What a load of old scaremongering bullocks..........
There have been people forecasting the end of the world ever since there have been people....Too many books, films and people with overactive imaginations are to blame....
If there was no 24 hour news (like in our younger days when we had hot summers) You would just shrug it off as a good summer in a progression of bad ones and go about your business....

The climate may or may not be changing, it probably is, just like it always has, and there is absolutely nothing us mere humans can do about it........Obviously, if you're living the life of Riley, you feel guilty that you are one of the chosen ones and it must be your fault why this is happening....Well don't worry, we'll all be long gone before the apocalypse happens....

steady on there old OGF - ya getting a bit hot under the collar heh - how did the wedding finally go? I do think you should take up running it clears up the clogged mind and lets them things you mentioned swing a bit!!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Firstly I'll tell you what I see. I see that a number of comments on here are referring specifically to this country and a locality to individuals. I also see that people are taking my comments as personal , but if you read my post s again, there are no personal accusations or finger pointing. . . So to get back to the 'globe' and the impact that mans meddling with nature is having ;
Rivers drying up ..... many due to dams being built.
Severe droughts for years
African rain forests being destroyed for furniture, and various other luxurious good.
Palm Oil forests decimated for produce .
Over fishing in the oceans for whale, shark and other vastly reduced species.
Increase in carbon emissions when the earth can only absorb so much.
Pollution , pesticides and waste the world over .
Coral reefs dying.
Animals that have been on this planet for 100,000's yrs have been virtually wiped out in the last 100 yrs.
It's serious !
I could continue but no doubt those who do not see that the balance of nature is severely upside down, will not agree.
No rivers - no fish. or breeding grounds, No palm oil forest - no orangutan, no trees- no rain. Polluted seas, dying fish, no bees- ??
So many more, that when included in the amazing way the whole eco system works, and how we as humans have taken everything from the lands and put nothing back, it's hardly surprising that it's beginning to creak under the huge demands for resources we have and have taken for granted. It still doesn't stop and no lessons have been learnt from those who have been forecasting the arising problems for years (prophecies ! ) .

One major thing we can all do is stop buying packaged items in the supermarkets. Only then will supermarkets come up with an alternative way to shop. We can also refrain from purchasing items with palm oil in them.

That's a small gesture but you have not mentioned anything positive for our planets future , which was the question I asked.
agreed PD - well posted! I was watching a doco here recently where a cattle farmer had to start selling off his cattle to market before they thinned out and died. His station which was several thousands of acres, had been in drought for seven continuous years and this is not just one farmer but many.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 07:20 AM

Perhaps if government's spent as much time trying to save the planet as they do about PC it might be possible to do something to help. We hear nothing about helping earth to survive yet PC is on the news daily. Madness.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 09:32 AM

Puddle Duck I do apologise if my comments came across as personal, they were not meant to be. I do tend to get a little enthusiastic occasionally with subjects that I enjoy.........

Of course you are absolutely right about our destruction of nature; I decline to say the 'Destruction of the planet' the Earth will go on for a few more million (or billion) years yet.
Question is; Will we as the human species still be on it?

Unfortunately, every person in the 'civilised?' world wants a house, a vehicle, food, clothing and energy, among other things. And who are we to tell them that they can't have these things? You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.....

We are all to blame, not just the bloke who cuts down the trees. It's supply and demand. We have made a comfortable little nish and are loath to give it up....
The American Indians were probably more civilised than us, they took from the land only the things they needed and respected and worked alongside nature.

Prophecies? Nobody has the power to forecast the future, or the end of it. They are just people like you or I, it's not rocket science, it's more like Accountancy, sooner or later there will be more people walking this earth than the earth can supply food for...
So unless we limit the growth of the population, nature will take it out of our hands and do it herself.....She has probably already started.....But don't worry about the planet, it will recover......with or without us.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Apology accepted OGF. It is as clear as daylight that various people including ourselves have the same or similar concerns and hear the evidence . Even so the damage continues because when one pulls back, another moves in as is now happening in the Congo rainforests. The second largest rainforest on earth, the lungs of Africa and yet the Chinese are there and involved in the deforestation of the Congo Basin. Destroying the habitat of the silverback gorilla, of which only about 800 remain in the world and their life span is about 30yrs.
It's so easy to keep the public in the dark, as it has been in DRC, whilst behind closed doors deals are made for death and destruction .
Yes, you are right OGF, we all have our part to play we all reap the rewards of the exploitation of natural recourses we have taken but unfortunately, I cannot see too much turning back of the clock in the next century. The present day civilised world is greedy, and maybe we should take some tips from the tribes and the ancient civilisations that have cultivated their lands and survived through thousands of years in accordance and alongside nature.

P,S, You made a prophecy OGF ! You stated that the planet will recover , with or without us.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:37 AM

If all We pleb's have to do is stop buying packaged stuff from supermarkets and food with palm oil,well that I do already....I suppose what's really needed is for supermarkets to be obliterated from every town & city in the World and We go back to shopping in the fishmongers/butchers/fruit n veg shops in Our areas where goods are not put into plastic bags...except most high streets don't have these any more BECAUSE of the supermarkets...fancy having Your fish n chips served to You on old newspapers again?..It's just never going to happen I'm afraid...The 'good ol' days' are well and truly ...gone.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 10:42 AM

One can only take the whole climate change and related stuff with a pinch of salt.

Imagine you were an insect with a life span of just 1 month and you happen to be born in a winter month. Your entire world, your entire knowledge of life revolves around the fact that the Earth is a cold place, full of snow and frost and cold wind. You have no concept of autumn or summer because you've never witnessed it, never experienced it. Winter is all you know.

Similarly the same insect born in a summer month knows only eat and humidity and the intense rays of the sun. It doesn't truly know cold and sub zero temperatures. It doesn't know about snow and ice and hail.

Each is purely experiencing life from an infinitismally tiny perspective, like viewing the world through a cardboard tube where all you can see is the tiny round view at the end.

And so to humans, and to planet Earth.

We believe we understand Earth's cycles. We know of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter and as far as we are concerned that is all there is and we forumulate our theories and scientific knowledge around those basic facts.

The thing is, our Earth, being part of a wider galaxy is hurtling along through space at an enormous speed and it takes us approx 26,000 years to go once around galatic centre. Think that through. 26,000 years!

Imagine trying to formulate knowledge of the Earth having never once actually completed a single orbit around the sun !
It would be futile, and TBH pretty ignorant.

And that's what humans are . . . ignorant because humans haven't been on this planet for 26,000 years. Like the insects above, we haven't witnessed a single cycle of Earths orbit around the galaxy. In fact we have only traversed a tiny arc of that orbit. We thus have no idea at all what is likely to happen to Earth on that journey.

For all we know, increasing temperatures or other phenomena are entirely normal and to be expected on that 26,000 year orbit.

We are simply ignorant.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top