Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Re: We are doomed I tell you - doomed!

Originally Posted by May ->
If all We pleb's have to do is stop buying packaged stuff from supermarkets and food with palm oil,well that I do already....I suppose what's really needed is for supermarkets to be obliterated from every town & city in the World and We go back to shopping in the fishmongers/butchers/fruit n veg shops in Our areas where goods are not put into plastic bags...except most high streets don't have these any more BECAUSE of the supermarkets...fancy having Your fish n chips served to You on old newspapers again?..It's just never going to happen I'm afraid...The 'good ol' days' are well and truly ...gone.
May, they were a couple of things I pointed out that could help. You have categorised yourself and taken a view on a personal level . I assume you have no problem with others failing to make changes with regard to plastics disposal. Why did supermarkets get the monopoly ? Because WE used them. I still have local shops, butchers, green grocers, grocers,bakers, chemists, all in one block and we use them, we support our local businesses and end up paying less or buying less than if we go to the supermarkets .
I will repeat I am talking about the 'world' not just our little island . Have a look at this , one of many places and then tell me we should be burying our heads . Maybe some are too old to be bothered, that's fine, but maybe we can try to help our grand children to understand the seriousness and as the children are our future, they might get involved in the future. How much do we as a country benefit from foreign made clothing. Textile factories in places such as these ? Where do we get our rice from ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSXB-lRAp0
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Being a bit condescending there are You not?..Of course I take a Personal view,how can I not..maybe You can tell Us all here what YOU personally are doing to save the planet..I'm sure My Children and Grandchildren are well clued-up on climate change.more so than I or You are..so no..I don't go around pontificating about it..I'll leave that to the likes of You

ps...I can't get the u tube link.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
One can only take the whole climate change and related stuff with a pinch of salt.

Imagine you were an insect with a life span of just 1 month and you happen to be born in a winter month. Your entire world, your entire knowledge of life revolves around the fact that the Earth is a cold place, full of snow and frost and cold wind. You have no concept of autumn or summer because you've never witnessed it, never experienced it. Winter is all you know.

Similarly the same insect born in a summer month knows only eat and humidity and the intense rays of the sun. It doesn't truly know cold and sub zero temperatures. It doesn't know about snow and ice and hail.

Each is purely experiencing life from an infinitismally tiny perspective, like viewing the world through a cardboard tube where all you can see is the tiny round view at the end.

And so to humans, and to planet Earth.

We believe we understand Earth's cycles. We know of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter and as far as we are concerned that is all there is and we forumulate our theories and scientific knowledge around those basic facts.

The thing is, our Earth, being part of a wider galaxy is hurtling along through space at an enormous speed and it takes us approx 26,000 years to go once around galatic centre. Think that through. 26,000 years!

Imagine trying to formulate knowledge of the Earth having never once actually completed a single orbit around the sun !
It would be futile, and TBH pretty ignorant.

And that's what humans are . . . ignorant because humans haven't been on this planet for 26,000 years. Like the insects above, we haven't witnessed a single cycle of Earths orbit around the galaxy. In fact we have only traversed a tiny arc of that orbit. We thus have no idea at all what is likely to happen to Earth on that journey.

For all we know, increasing temperatures or other phenomena are entirely normal and to be expected on that 26,000 year orbit.

We are simply ignorant.
I think you'll find Realist old bean that the archaeological estimates for Indigenous Australians being around is 65,000 year?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
And that's what humans are . . . ignorant because humans haven't been on this planet for 26,000 years.

We are simply ignorant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

Human

Humans (taxonomically, Homo sapiens) are the only extant members of the subtribe Hominina. They are characterized by erect posture and bipedal locomotion; high manual dexterity and heavy tool use compared to other animals; open-ended and complex language use compared to other animal communications; and a general trend toward larger, more complex brains and societies.

Early hominins—particularly the australopithecines, whose brains and anatomy are in many ways more similar to ancestral non-human apes—are less often referred to as "human" than hominins of the genus Homo. Several of these hominins used fire, occupied much of Eurasia, and gave rise to anatomically modern Homo sapiens in Africa about 315,000 years ago. They began to exhibit evidence of behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago, and in several waves of migration, they ventured out of Africa and populated most of the world.
Maybe longer than a "galactic orbit", then .....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Being a bit condescending there are You not?..Of course I take a Personal view,how can I not..maybe You can tell Us all here what YOU personally are doing to save the planet..I'm sure My Children and Grandchildren are well clued-up on climate change.more so than I or You are..so no..I don't go around pontificating about it..I'll leave that to the likes of You

ps...I can't get the u tube link.
That's not being condescending May. You yourself gave it a personal slant.
I'm not only talking specifically about climate change. In fact I haven't mentioned climate change, apart form rain forest demise and the impact that would/will have. I am talking about how the worlds greatest powers, governments companies , banks, are all involved in taking resources or using cheap labour in poverty stricken countries having an impact on the natural world all over. Their greed and we thrive in the West.
I am involved in many things. That is how I have knowledge about how our planet is 'doomed'... which was the title of the topic.
People who are interested will search and find , it's very easy to do.
How do I help ? I rarely shop at supermarkets, don't use sprays or chemicals, use natural animal free products, don't eat Cadbury's chocolate , distribute leaflets to various locations , support charities, try not to buy clothes made in Asia, and lobby MP's and Governments for change , not just in this country.
You can call it pontificating if you wish, but at least I'm not blind. (oh dear , forgot to put the smiley, that makes everything ok )
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 12:02 PM

In 20 years most of us will be dead .
What a legacy we have left for our descendants .
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
That's not being condescending May. You yourself gave it a personal slant.
I'm not only talking specifically about climate change. In fact I haven't mentioned climate change, apart form rain forest demise and the impact that would/will have. I am talking about how the worlds greatest powers, governments companies , banks, are all involved in taking resources or using cheap labour in poverty stricken countries having an impact on the natural world all over. Their greed and we thrive in the West.
I am involved in many things. That is how I have knowledge about how our planet is 'doomed'... which was the title of the topic.
People who are interested will search and find , it's very easy to do.
How do I help ? I rarely shop at supermarkets, don't use sprays or chemicals, use natural animal free products, don't eat Cadbury's chocolate , distribute leaflets to various locations , support charities, try not to buy clothes made in Asia, and lobby MP's and Governments for change , not just in this country.
You can call it pontificating if you wish, but at least I'm not blind.
lol...I see You keep editing on wee bits to Your posts....well You shall get Your rewards in Heaven for being a better Person than I ...or maybe You don't believe in it...I'm off to My local butcher to purchase a nice sirloin steak for dinner,then next door to the greengrocers for some lovely Ayrshire tatties to go with it..oops..don't tell Me...You're a vegetarian too...there's no end to Your goodness is there...Self praise is no honour as My Ol' Granny used to say...….have a nice day...THE END.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 12:11 PM

may have you read the new rules for member behaviors on this site - I think perhaps you should if you don't mind me saying?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND

08-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
may have you read the new rules for member behaviors on this site - I think perhaps you should if you don't mind me saying?
You're telling Me I've broken some rules?...now THAT made Me laugh gummy....but if You think so...then report Me.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

08-08-2018, 12:19 PM

You're telling Me I've broken some rules?...now THAT made Me laugh gummy....but if You think so...then report Me.
oeer no May I too frightened of ya!!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top