Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Re: Animal Extinction and Climate Change

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Ben, and how much wood does it take to build a new house? 'A' frames and roof joists, door frames and floorboards...So up come more trees.
And we don't get bricks and mortar for free, lot's of heat (CO2) and pollution....(Lime Quarrying) makes a mess of the country....
Grow more trees, live in tree houses, use rope swings for
transport, does away with cars and pollution in on shot?
Use the extra sunshine and heat to dry out all the sewage to use
as fertilizer without concentrating it all in one or two places as
we do now?
Trouble is, what would we do with the rich people?
Donkeyman!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I was told by me mum not to mix me drinks Floydy?
Who should l listen to?
BDonkeyman!
Who's mixing drinks?
A beer and coffee over two hours won't make one ill, Donkeyman. That's what I'm stuck with at the moment, the only other option is not go out at all and climb some walls around the house tearing my hair out.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Donkeyman, thanks. Good to read your thoughts on the subject. One of the things I enjoy about this site is learning and appreciating the difference between our countries and cultures. Is the vegan movement over there really that militant?

Puddle Duck
, yes, we probably consume just too much of everything. It's awfully hard to discipline ourselves to do just about anything.

Floydy, I think you express how most people feel. There's nothing wrong with the way you live. I suppose that if we all try a little, that's something . Artful does make a point that if we are aware, we might find a way here and there, that combined with everyone else, might make a little difference.

Muddy, you make an important point . I suppose there is always the potential for new - old viruses . New one mutate like crazy so our immune systems have to remain vigilant. I do know that there was an outbreak of anthrax sometime back when it thawed out of permafrost. Immunologists are saying that the greater threat will probably come from tropical diseases like malaria and dengue fever as those pathogens have an expanded ecosystem.

OGF, what a thoughtful post ! You touched on some very valid points regarding the livable parts of the earth and the lifestyles of previous generations. There is no doubt that our affluence has crept up on us, and I am old enough to suffer when something that can be repaired is tossed out because it's either too hard to find someone willing to do the repairs or replacement cost is cheaper.

We probably need to consume less for obvious reasons, but even if we become more disciplined how do we keep our economies afloat in such consumer-driven economies ?

I may be a bit biased SM, as the younger generations in my family
have mostly become first vegitarian, and now vegans! which some
of them practice to the level of being a religion!
So if they visit us our whole routine and diet is completely changed
to suit them, and if we go out to eat with them most of the time is
spent searching for meat free venues etc!
This trend is now becoming part of government policies as was
witnessed a couple of days ago in Holland when farmers blocked
roads with tractors and trailers to protest a proposal by government
That farmers, irrespective of how many animals they have, they
reduce them by 50%!
Maybe you aint heard about this yet over there? I think it would
cause BIG trouble with your farmers what with firearms etc!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

06-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Who's mixing drinks?
A beer and coffee over two hours won't make one ill, Donkeyman. That's what I'm stuck with at the moment, the only other option is not go out at all and climb some walls around the house tearing my hair out.
Sorry to hear that Floydy, hope its not going to last long for you!
l think l will stick with me mums advice though coz l got trouble
the few times l ignored her!!
Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 03:12 PM

That's right, Bob

I did miss out one other thing which helps the planet. Drinking real ale. It's made of natural ingredients such as dead blackbirds and wood shavings but that's more tasty than all the chemicals that go into Carling Black Label!
To think I once fancied going for a pint with you Floydy.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 04:10 PM

On tree planting projects:

1. One tree removes about 26 pounds of carbon dioxide each year, the equivalent of 11,000 miles worth of annual vehicle emissions.

2. New York City trees that were part of an urban planting project remove 2,200 tons of air pollution each year, the impact of which saves the city about $10 million each year.

3. The shade and insulation of the city’s trees provide $27 million savings in heating and cooling costs.

4. The trees take up almost 900 million in stormwater, saving the city about $35 million annually.

5. NYC trees remove 42,000 tons of carbon from the air annually that would otherwise contribute to greenhouse warming.

6. Each tree planted in provides $6 in investment return per year above the cost of planting and maintenance.

7. Trees provide an 11 percent higher property value, draw more visitors to hotels and vacation properties, provide habitats for an otherwise barren ecosystem…

...and they add to everyone’s enjoyment and quality of life.

In the whole of the Earth, there really isn’t any family of species that provides more for in terms of resources, habitat, health, protection, microclimate moderation, a place to carve your love’s initials than trees, or a shady spot and drink your blackbird ale .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
On tree planting projects:

1. One tree removes about 26 pounds of carbon dioxide each year, the equivalent of 11,000 miles worth of annual vehicle emissions.

2. New York City trees that were part of an urban planting project remove 2,200 tons of air pollution each year, the impact of which saves the city about $10 million each year.

3. The shade and insulation of the city’s trees provide $27 million savings in heating and cooling costs.

4. The trees take up almost 900 million in stormwater, saving the city about $35 million annually.

5. NYC trees remove 42,000 tons of carbon from the air annually that would otherwise contribute to greenhouse warming.

6. Each tree planted in provides $6 in investment return per year above the cost of planting and maintenance.

7. Trees provide an 11 percent higher property value, draw more visitors to hotels and vacation properties, provide habitats for an otherwise barren ecosystem…

...and they add to everyone’s enjoyment and quality of life.

In the whole of the Earth, there really isn’t any family of species that provides more for in terms of resources, habitat, health, protection, microclimate moderation, a place to carve your love’s initials than trees, or a shady spot and drink your blackbird ale .
So put that in your pipe and smoke it Donkeyman.....But preferably not in NY....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
To think I once fancied going for a pint with you Floydy.
The invitation still stands, Bob.
Not serious about the ale flavourings btw
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by [B
Longdogs;[/B]1795650]To think I once fancied going for a pint with you Floydy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The invitation still stands, Bob.
Not serious about the ale flavourings btw
Ooops......
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So put that in your pipe and smoke it Donkeyman.....But preferably not in NY....
Having lived in the southern forests of Africa for the last 17yrs
OGF I am in tune with Surfamums philosophy l think, and yours also
if l am not mistaken?
She has a greater command of data than myself allthough l know
the basics first hand!
Its nice to communisate with two such kindred spirits l think?
Especially when dispensed with humour! LOL!

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top