Join for free
Page 16 of 23 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 10:49 AM

Re: Bike ride

Gonna get me one of those mirrors, when I was out in the cold the other day, I had my woolly hat on and my hood up, I wanted to turn right from a main road into a side road, but needing to see over my shoulder to move to the middle of the road was impossible, all I could see was the inside of my hood so, I had to pull over at the side of the road, have a look round then proceed again.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Gonna get me one of those mirrors, when I was out in the cold the other day, I had my woolly hat on and my hood up, I wanted to turn right from a main road into a side road, but needing to see over my shoulder to move to the middle of the road was impossible, all I could see was the inside of my hood so, I had to pull over at the side of the road, have a look round then proceed again.
The mirror should overcome all that.

It's necessary to cut a hole in the end of the handlebar grip in order to fit the mirror. It comes with an outer sleeve for expanding inside handlebars with a large inside diameter. The sleeve is removed for a small inside diameter.

The handlebar hole on the Claud Butler was too small even with the outer sleeve of the mirror removed. Where there's a will there's a way and I ended up having to enlarge the hole a bit (aluminium). Not enough to weaken the end of the handlebar though.

I'm pretty sure the mirror will fit OK (no problem on other bikes) but just an aspect worth looking at.

Edit: photo added.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 12:11 PM

Just bought it mart.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Just bought it mart.
It's all behind you now then.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

10-02-2021, 01:06 PM

I wont look back in anger.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

10-02-2021, 04:34 PM

On reflection and all that.

I expect you'll soon find the best angle for the mirror. I find it best when you can just about see the side of your sleeve in it, This seems to cover not only the lane behind but right across to the other side of the road as well.

Older Zeefal mirrors were this shape and a bit smaller than the newer ones..

I had a job to get used to the new shape at first but have come to prefer it now.

The photo shows an old-shaped mirror, still intact on the Claud Butler. Note the screw, rather than an allen bolt. It shows I had to do something about the fitting of it because of the small inside diameter of the handlebars. It's a solid enough fixing but not standard.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-02-2021, 12:02 PM

Just been round the Country Park on the Hog. Lots of Dog Walkers, and the iced up puddles made stuff interesting, roll on Spring.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-02-2021, 10:57 AM

I haven't been doing much riding, apart from going to the doctors own pharmacy and back once in a while. About a 5 mile round trip done on the e-bike. I hope it will be a different story in the Spring when riding ought to be a bit more enjoyable.

I've been keeping my leg muscles up to strength with indoor exercises and will try and be brave enough to do a 12 mile circuit on the ordinary bike (Claud Butler).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

12-02-2021, 03:06 PM

Mart, as predicted, the plastic expanding stopper is to big a diameter to fit into the handlebar end!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-02-2021, 06:43 PM

That's a nuisance to say the least. Even with the outer sleeve removed? Below is what I had to do. Not a neat job because I didn't have a drill that would do it and I was worried that even with a drill, to much of a hole might be dug.

I reamed it out with an old chisel that was just bigger than the hole. It's only the first ¾" of the handlebar so it hasn't weakened it.

I used a longer screw to screw into the expander so that it started expanding on the first few turns. I hope you manage to fix the mirror somehow. I think a person of your calibre will be able to.

Page 16 of 23 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top