Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 05:49 PM

Re: Is Brexit a religion?

I'm sure it's a religion to some folk on this forum. They talk about nothing else with their preaching!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
If religion is opium for the people, brexit certainly fits the bill.

You certainly seem to be addicted.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
You certainly seem to be addicted.
I dread the day you leave. Say, in a year or two?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'm sure it's a religion to some folk on this forum. They talk about nothing else with their preaching!
Just watching reports from sri lanka, where religion was at work. Brought back to memory scenes from northern ireland, but also of london. Wondering whether the return of such things really is a price worth to pay for brexit.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Just watching reports from sri lanka, where religion was at work. Brought back to memory scenes from northern ireland, but also of london. Wondering whether the return of such things really is a price worth to pay for brexit.
You are conflating many unrelated issues .

You seem a bit confused by it all !!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

25-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You are conflating many unrelated issues .

You seem a bit confused by it all !!
Death does that. I also watched a funeral yesterday somewhere in norther ireland. Unrelated to brexit of course, but it does give a foreboding.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Death does that. I also watched a funeral yesterday somewhere in norther ireland. Unrelated to brexit of course, but it does give a foreboding.
Not really...........the Neanderthals were always there.

They never went anywhere.

The EU should stop meddling in situations it is ill prepared for and understands even less ........... like NI, like Ukraine!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 09:21 PM

It's interesting there was a historical tv series about the Normans on last night. It blamed the problems we have in Scotland, Wales and Ireland on the Normans.

It's the Normans who apparently created the first propaganda campaign about the Irish being a lesser class. They also denigrated Anglo-Saxon English language to lower society and introduced French words to represent higher status objects and actions.

The Scots sucked up to them and invited them in, it took them years to conquer Wales, and as for Ireland it was ongoing troubles and negotiations.
Moscow
Scotland

25-04-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's interesting there was a historical tv series about the Normans on last night. It blamed the problems we have in Scotland, Wales and Ireland on the Normans.

It's the Normans who apparently created the first propaganda campaign about the Irish being a lesser class. They also denigrated Anglo-Saxon English language to lower society and introduced French words to represent higher status objects and actions.

The Scots sucked up to them and invited them in, it took them years to conquer Wales, and as for Ireland it was ongoing troubles and negotiations.

That was quite a long time ago and I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

I don't know anyone who thinks the Irish are a lesser class.

I also know of no-one around here that speaks French as a first language..........still Anglo Saxon with a large smattering of Scots, which is a dialect of Olde English.

Obviously The Norman Conquest had the most fundamental and far reaching consequences that still affects us today but probably not as overtly in day to day attitudes as it sounds the programme makers were claiming.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2019, 10:53 PM

It was an interesting perspective. It's not that long ago that the Irish were regarded as second class citizens in Britain. The programme was simply saying that all started with the Norman invasions.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top