Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Re: Regional Prejudices

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I have led a sheltered life & on the rare occasions I have travelled north of the M4, everyone talked funny.
When we were first married in 1969 we went to live in Derbyshire, where my husband had obtained his first teaching post. We had never been there before, and it was ages before we could acclimatise ourselves to the accent!
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 03:49 PM

I speak broad wiganese, and fairly broad lancashire chat, and I must say I am proud of it, and if I must put my least favourite lingo, it must be the infuriating idiot who talks on big bruvver
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Never watched 'Big Bruvver' so no idea about that...
There are a couple of accents I'm not keen on - see no point in stating what they are tho'
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Pats, you have the strangest accent for Kent I've ever 'heard'
Real Essex people have a country accent, which you rarely hear now .. invaders settled after the war
I love accents, can't say I dislike any, but I do struggle understanding them when they are too broad.
Couldn't resist putting this on - no apologies to other Essex dwellers here.

An Essex Winter Story

As a lorry driver in Essex stops for a red light, a blonde in her car pulls up alongside. She jumps out of her car, runs up to his lorry cab, and knocks on the door. The driver lowers the window, and she says,
'Hi, my name is Sharon and you are losing some of your load!"
The trucker ignores her and proceeds down the street. When the lorry stops for another red light, the girl again catches up. She jumps out of her car, runs up to his cab, and knocks on the door.
The guy lowers the window, and she says,
'Hi, my name is Sharon and you are losing some of your load.'
Shaking his head, the driver ignores her again and continues down the street.

At the third red light, the same thing happens again. All out of breath, the blonde gets out of her car, runs up, knocks on the lorry cab door. The driver lowers the window again she says,
'Hi, my name is Sharon and you are losing some of your load!

When the light turns green, the driver revs up and races to the next light. When he stops this time, he hurriedly gets out of his lorry, and runs back to the blonde

He knocks on her window, and as she lowers it, he says.......

"Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm gritting the road."

It's not true that all Essex girls are blonde and dumb, some are brunette and dumb
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Good post Jan - I'm not a Kent gal, I'm from South London - have a lot of Irish in the mix So, Cockney-Irish suits me well.....
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Oh dunno whot yer onnabowt Willow, nowt rung wiv oar lingo dem fokes from Dudlaay spake a bit bonkers mind.
A chap from Dudley once made me a kipper tie, with 2 sugar
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Jimmy - even if I worked that out to be a pie - where do 2 sugar, come in....
Ah - just worked it out - cup a tea an 2 sugar
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I have led a sheltered life & on the rare occasions I have travelled north of the M4, everyone talked funny.

One kwait agreeze
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Oooo - how 'posh' Rachel.....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top