Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mari41
Wynyard. Tasmania
mari41 is female  mari41 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 01:12 AM

Re: Regional Prejudices

Have enjoyed reading the above posts. I like all accents and think this is why British Tv and films are so popular....especially the comedies. Hope they don't all get ironed out ...what a dull world it would be. There are differences between some states in Aus but it is more in the pronounciation of words than an accent.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Good post and true - Mari...
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 02:10 PM

Variety is good in all things. What a very sterile world it would be if we all spoke in a banal way. Dialects and accents are the stuff of life. Long may it be so.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 02:17 PM

If we are ranting about stereotypes and accents , this is what bugs me ..... TV and film actors who assume what they think sounds like the rural accent..... from Suffolk through to Cornwall .... the same old accent comes out and although I have lived in the country for most of my life I have yet to hear anyone say "Ooo Arrr!"

Even within counties accent vary ...... even different areas of London accents vary .... Oi be cross, Oi be!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Not just counties either. Dialects vary from town to town in some areas. It may not be noticeable to some one who does not live in the area but for residents of these towns, it pin points exactly which town you are from and prejudice does exist but it's usually of the leg pulling variety.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Understand that Maggie - gets my goat too
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Also, in some places the blokes speak in a harsher tone than the women, at least it seems that way to me, am I right d'you think?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

27-03-2013, 10:37 AM

You 'are' right Maggis - noticed that too...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Oh dunno whot yer onnabowt Willow, nowt rung wiv oar lingo dem fokes from Dudlaay spake a bit bonkers mind.
Very good spitfire I had a friend who lived in Tipton and it used to amuse my mum when he'd call at our house for me and he'd say 'am yum comin out'
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Variety is good in all things. What a very sterile world it would be if we all spoke in a banal way. Dialects and accents are the stuff of life. Long may it be so.
Absolutely mesco - there's only one accent I detest with a passion and it's that of the so-called received pronunciation - it is such a nothing accent, it tells you nothing about the person at all. I love accents, even regional ones. When I speak over here, other Brummies will immediately start chatting to me even though my friends in Birmingham think I've 'gone all posh' and lost my accent

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top