Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Re: Regional Prejudices

Accents are strange things. I was born in the valleys and as a teen my family moved to an area of Flintshire where the accent is more a combination of Lancs and Cheshire than it is Welsh. Unfortunately my really strong South Walian accent made for a heck of a lot of teasing and name calling (now called bullying I suppose, but we were tougher in those days). When I started my Cadet Nurse training at 16 we had to attend college one day a week, and one of the classes had to be non vocational ie. cookery or needlework, that sort of thing, anyway one of the options was something called 'Use of English' basically a sort of elocution class. I jumped at the chance to rid myself of what at the time was a troublesome accent. (believe me I made Maudie Edwards sound high class English lol), and after a year of 'How now brown cow' and such like, I eventually lost the taffy twang, and although I never actually acquired a permanent 'laid back' accent I have occasionally been accused of 'talking posh'. Now the strange thing is, since then, having joined the W.R.A.C. and travelled about a bit, my accent has sort of 'levelled out', to the extent that fellow Welshmen accuse me of being English, and English people are not at all sure where I hail from. But, I have an aunt and uncle who grew up not far from where I did, he was in the RN during the war and remained in until he retired when they settled in Weymouth. Now there is a strong accent no? But they have both retained a really really strong S Wales accent, and both their daughters have strong Dorset accents. Odd no?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Well yes - very complicated gal - forget accents - its all in the way ya say things thats important....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Oooooo aaaaarrrrr, oooooo aaaaarrrrrr! I got a brand new combine 'arvester! Wurp a diddle dido! Just bin plantin me mangelwurzels and drinkin' up me zider! Don't you know!
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 07:26 PM

I have never had an accent really no one has ever been able to guess where Im from....
Probally because I was an RAF child and moved around far to much ...case of where ever Id laid my hat thats my home ... Never stopped moving after I left my parents home either ....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Oooooo aaaaarrrrr, oooooo aaaaarrrrrr! I got a brand new combine 'arvester! Wurp a diddle dido! Just bin plantin me mangelwurzels and drinkin' up me zider! Don't you know!

Twizzle darlin' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UT8ttxJ4Ro

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top