Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 07:10 PM

Re: Things you want to ask

Dublin is much the same as any other large city in these Isles and the weather is never great either, very dear city to live in at present.
If it wasn't for the hunting and fishing in the countryside I would have left it years ago, isn't that right James?. (James is my head gardener you know)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 07:12 PM

Thats so interesting Bags, considering the reputation of the French, altho' I heard many times its the city folks that are the offenders. But, I am surprised by what you say, its great to know there is still an old fashioned charm and help thy neighbour attitude - I can see why you love it there, I would yearn for that lifestyle too....thought of joining the Amish once - but 'all' that religion that goes with it - too much, loved the rest....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Dublin is much the same as any other large city in these Isles and the weather is never great either, very dear city to live in at present.
If it wasn't for the hunting and fishing in the countryside I would have left it years ago, isn't that right James?. (James is my head gardener you know)
It seems coluntry folk are just better in attitude and want to keep with the old ways - so far, that is....
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 09:04 AM

It is interesting finding out how other people live. Living in the Midlands I would say its alot different from living in the South of England. There is still a big divide in my mind. Coming from Leeds I go back often to see family and friends. I have penfriends around the World including Perth, Melbourne Australia, one in Tasmania. Another one in Oregon, USA. My eldest son emigrated to France two years ago and lives near the Hadron Collider in Cern and works in Switzerland. So feel multi personality with all of these places.
I do tend to mention the weather in my daily post that Alan does everyday on here. There again I know Alan from another site so he is used to it
Bruce also is on a site I use so know about his life in Oz.
Its great to be able to speak to people from different countries and get
to know things about where they live.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 09:09 AM

I have a question for those who live in America.....
When my husband goes to America he always comes home twice the size.
He says its impossible to eat a healthy diet while traveling and eating in resturants he says all portions are twice some times 3 times bigger than you get here , it hard to just have a plate of salad or vegtables and if you do its covered in fat dressings. Almost most places he visits its impossible to find any thing other than pizza burger places. Is this true or is he just being a pig while out there. Oh and is it easy to buy organic salad and veg in small food stores ?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Cookiecate this should turn out to be an interesting thread.

Yes France like the rest of Europe is suffering many out of work and high prices for everything not many cheap prices in supermarkets, but what I do like is that veg, fruit and healthy stuff especially if its French are cheaper than snacks, ready meals and rubbish foods... Also (I can only talk for my area) people here arnt afraid to recycle and help each other out. for instance here in my village when you finish with a fridge , washer or other white goods you take them to a shed here not just dump it... and when the 2 council men who work for the Marie (village mayor) have nothing else to do they fix them if they need it and they are left for people in the village to take who cant afford to buy. Same with furniture and building stuff. Vegtables are shared among neighbours and the village hunters give away joints of meat to the residents. Ever one shares there tractors to help others and other equipment you are never made to feel like you owe anyone any thing you just help where you see it is needed. People dont seem to turn blind eyes to others who need help here ...I really like that. At the moment my goat has escaped and is pottering around the village impossible to catch but one by one each neighbour has tried to catch it for me. I could not see any of the above happening in my village In Cornwall.
You make the village life sound like things should be and were during the war years here in good old England dunno about other parts but I have heard stories similar to this about small villages.

I like to pretend that things haven't changed in English Village life but they have. However, my mother in law lives in Egremont in Cumbria, she had a bad fall and the neighbours were brilliant rallying around to make sure she was looked after and even now six months later those people are still there for her.

When you hear about people dying of hunger or being murdered it usually happens in big towns and in my heart I hope that if your goat went missing in Cornwall people would help you out.

The goat story reminds me of when I lived on the tiny island of St Vincent one of the Grenadine islands. During carnival a little boy went missing and everyone knew to look out for him because it was on the radio every hour. I was amazed that the police were not doing anything like a mass missing person thingy. At the end of the day the little boy was found safe and well except for all the sweet drinks and cake that he had been fed by many of the people who 'found' him he was then at the police station being fed ice cream and mum and dad picked up a very tired and happy little boy with no fuss and no fear.

This was a long time ago and things have changed, by the sound of your story you appreciate where you live and so you should, I must say I envy you.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I have a question for those who live in America.....
When my husband goes to America he always comes home twice the size.
He says its impossible to eat a healthy diet while traveling and eating in resturants he says all portions are twice some times 3 times bigger than you get here , it hard to just have a plate of salad or vegtables and if you do its covered in fat dressings. Almost most places he visits its impossible to find any thing other than pizza burger places. Is this true or is he just being a pig while out there. Oh and is it easy to buy organic salad and veg in small food stores ?
I too returned to England a curvy 20stones. The English women looked skinny against their American sisters. However, I worked in a bakery that was my excuse. The restaurants do serve some mind blowing portions but if hubs explains that he needs to watch what he eats they like diets and you will find that most hotels and restaurants are happy to comply with whatever you want.

Deep down I know that your husband enjoys the food. My husband and I only talk about the food that we will eat once in New York. We have been known to take pictures of steaks, carrot cake and cheese cake. I can tell you where to buy the best cheese cake in New York and although I know its wrong I would overeat all over again if I had the chance.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Good idea
ask me about the NEW FOREST
OK Robert tell us about the New Forest, for instance why is it called New Forest and what happened to the old one and do the ponies really roam around like I have heard. One place I haven't been much which if I remember is a mistake as the place is gorgeous.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Cate darlin' although I live in the next but one county I know about the history of the 'New Forest'. The ground was originally owned by the church. At the disollusion of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, the land was taken over by the crown and the forest used by Henry for hunting. Yes there are 'wild' forest ponies, as well as deer and pigs and boars all free to roam the forest (there are many traffic accidents involving animals in and around the New Forest because they wander across the roads).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->

Benvarrey do you like people in Blackpool not look forward to the hoardes of visitors who take over the beaches and bars?

Of course one day I will get around to asking about their crime numbers and water bills but at the moment do you think this would be a good thread?
It is an excellent thread Cookie and I shall answer your question quite happily.

I don't think I've met anyone from Blackpool - it's mainly Liverpudlians over here now. I've spent a fair few weekends in Blackpool many moons ago though.

We don't get many visitors anymore so pubs and beaches are not crowded at all. The only time we get overrun is TT and Manx Grand Prix weeks and it's more road closures that gets irritating. A few more visitors would be nice but the Island is so set in the past, people aren't interested in coming here all that much.

We have a very low crime rate - mainly because the Island is still society minded and people will tell the police if they see something untoward going on. Given that the Island is only 15 miles wide by about 33 miles in length, criminals don't really have anywhere to hide - waiting for the boat so that you can run off with your haul can be a bit of a bummer when it comes to a fast getaway

The English women looked skinny against their American sisters.
Surprisingly, the same thing applies here. Women here tend not to go around dolled up to the nines and they also tend to be heavier. When I go back to the UK, I feel surrounded by stick-thin women and it doesn't look good any more (to me), it looks decidedly odd in fact. I guess we tend to alter our perceptions according to our surroundings.

What is it like in Blackpool Cookie - has it changed much and in a way that you miss or that you are glad about?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top