Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Change of vision.....

Watched a programme featuring the wonderful Dave Fishwick, he of 'Bank on Dave'. If you haven't seen this guy all I can say is the world would be a much better place with 'more' of his like around. Anyway, this programme, sees him setting up a 'pop-up' job centre for youngsters. He managed to get reps of companies to come along and teach the kids the beginnings of plumbing, beauty, cooking, etc.,
The youngsters were 'zombies' totally un-motivated, it wasn't easy, but Dave managed to rally them. I was in floods of tears to see these kids grow in esteem and to hear their backgrounds. His venture was a success and lottery funding will promote 3 more job centres of this ilk.
This proves that most of these kids need nurturing and guidance to become well defined adults - it didn't look possible - it was......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Re: Change of vision.....

It was one of the reasons I loved being a Scout Leader - trying to motivate the youngsters to try something new and then when you see them really take to something and then to carry that on into their adult lives, there is no amount of money in the world that could pay for that feeling that, in a small way, you have helped to shape a young person's life. I felt the same when teaching - explaining something over and over again, in different ways (we all learn differently after all) and finally seeing the light go on in their eyes - brilliant feeling. Most youngsters do just need help to find the way and realise there are lots of choices - not just the obvious ones.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Re: Change of vision.....

Must have been great Karen....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top