Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Not good news-Afghanistan

Think I mentioned in one of my posts that my niece, hubby and 2 little boys have been over from Germany. Her hubby is in the army. They went back home at weekend and I was chatting to her today and she told me hubby is going to Afghanistan in February but could be before This is really worrying news when you hear most days of our soldiers being killed. Hubby seems to be taking it all in his stride-'its his job'. Personally, I still don't really understand what we are doing in Afghanistan but I am so proud of our soldiers and at the same time have great sympathy with the families who have lost their loved ones in this war. On a lighter note, I will soon have to start getting some 'shoe boxes' together so I can send treats to him when he goes. He was in Iraq on the frontline when the war there first started and I and the rest of the family used to send boxes to him then. They contained things like toilet rolls, Andrex of course baby wipes because apparently the sand gets everywhere toothpaste,deodorant etc.etc. and goodies to eat that aren't perishable. Not going to worry too much yet as they are all coming back for Christmas-am looking forward to seeing them again
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Re: Not good news-Afghanistan

It must be so worrying for someone who has family in the armed forces.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 09:41 PM

How worrying for you all, I pray he and all the other soldiers stay safe...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks for your replies Moli and Mags-It is worrying but we have to stay positive for my niece mainly and pray that her hubby and all the soldiers stay safe
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 11:49 PM

I still don't really understand what we are doing in Afghanistan but I am so proud of our soldiers
It is very worrying for those with family out there my Daughter in laws brother aged 18 has joined the Marines and could be out there soon.

I don't know what we are doing in Afghanistan either and feel due to the circumstances which prevail in that country we will achieve very little.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 03:19 PM

I don't know what we're doing there either. Oil interests spring to mind - didn't a major oil pipe to go through the country get rejected by the taliban? And 18 months or so after the invasion it was completed? It really makes my blood boil that 'rich' companies can influence war
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 08:04 PM

It's desperate isn't it? But it is a NATO force in there, so how can NATO just walk away - what on earth would be the effect worldwide?

Have you seen the film Charlie Wilson's War? Very interesting and very sad. Governments find it easier to justify billions on war than millions on assistance and infrastructure
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

19-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It is very worrying for those with family out there my Daughter in laws brother aged 18 has joined the Marines and could be out there soon.

I don't know what we are doing in Afghanistan either and feel due to the circumstances which prevail in that country we will achieve very little.
They are so young aren't they-mustn't forget that there are other servicemen out there like the Marines/R.A.F.-it just seems to be all reports are on our soldiers. Your Daughter-in-Laws Brother will be in my thoughts as well.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

19-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I don't know what we're doing there either. Oil interests spring to mind - didn't a major oil pipe to go through the country get rejected by the taliban? And 18 months or so after the invasion it was completed? It really makes my blood boil that 'rich' companies can influence war
Agree with you Azz-there always seems to be an underlying reason for invasion
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

19-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
It's desperate isn't it? But it is a NATO force in there, so how can NATO just walk away - what on earth would be the effect worldwide?

Have you seen the film Charlie Wilson's War? Very interesting and very sad. Governments find it easier to justify billions on war than millions on assistance and infrastructure
Couldn't agree with you more Dinahsmum-haven't seen the film but would be interested to see it-is it on DVD?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top