Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Recent bus crash

I expect some of you will recall seeing this in the news just recently, but this is an exert from "Mature Times" about it.
See what you think.

"A recent accident (so far cause unknown) involved a double-decker bus crashing into a supermarket in Coventry resulting in two dead and many injured.

Although no blame has been
allocated the fact that the driver was 77 years old seems to be vital to any investigations.

However, the release of new figures show that 9,000 people are licensed to drive buses over the age of 70, including two 90 year olds and about 330 in their eighties."

I honestly don't think I would be comfortable being on a bus with a 90 year old driver, would you?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Re: Recent bus crash

Get used to it I say as pension ages rise, we could have firemen and women of 70 soon so bus drivers of 90 will be least of our problems.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Get used to it I say as pension ages rise, we could have firemen and women of 70 soon so bus drivers of 90 will be least of our problems.
thats a thought Julie,

I guess the old drivers are no worse than some of the young ones as long as their health and sight is ok.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 06:50 PM

I am not being ageist here (I'm hardly a "spring chicken" myself!) but I think ALL bus and lorry drivers should be forced to retire at 65 (with a good pension, of course). After that you are no longer as safe as a younger driver, full stop.

Jim's ex-mother-in-law is 92 and although she still drives her car, she herself would NEVER want the right to drive a bus. She is starting to get nervous even with the car in case anything should happen, let alone driving something with passengers.

Looking at that accident, I am sure it was driver error. There is now way he could have plowed into that building if he was traveling at an appropriate speed for a public road with road works going on.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 07:17 PM

All bus and lorry drivers over the age of 45, have to renew their licences every 5 years, and pass a stringent medical, after the age of 65 their licence and medical has to be renewed every year.
That is why I am surprised that the Glasgow bin lorry driver had an HGV licence.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
All bus and lorry drivers over the age of 45, have to renew their licences every 5 years, and pass a stringent medical, after the age of 65 their licence and medical has to be renewed every year.
That is why I am surprised that the Glasgow bin lorry driver had an HGV licence.
It only takes a couple of hours to pass a medical and we all know that even an unhealthy person can appear healthy from time to time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
thats a thought Julie,

I guess the old drivers are no worse than some of the young ones as long as their health and sight is ok.

It's their reflexes I'd be more concerned about, Meg. I struggle to believe they would be as sharp as a younger person's. I don't think mine would be if they were tested.

It's also more serious as they are responsible for so many passengers too, not just themself alone in a car.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 08:57 AM

Its not age you should worry about. Some years ago (before the use of mobiles was banned) I was a passenger on a bus full of people and the driver was happily chatting on a mobile 'phone whilst driving through the middle of the town.

Only last week the bus driver was talking to the 'office' on the mobile, again whilst driving a bus load of passengers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Very true UJ I saw a bus last night driven by a man who was doing something beneath his seat all I could see of him as he crossed to my side of the road coming straight at me was top of his head and back, quite scary and when he realised he was on wrong side of the road I saw he was only about 25. So idiots can be any age.

My poor car now has to go to be fixed and I am carless for a few days.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2017, 02:53 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41190567

Bus driver and ex-Leamington mayor Kailash Chander is alleged to have caused the deaths of Rowan Fitzgerald and Dora Hancox, 76, by dangerous driving in Coventry in October 2015.

Mrs Dora Hancox, a pedestrian and a former foster carer from Nuneaton, and Rowan Fitzgerald, a passenger, were both pronounced dead at the scene after a bus hit the side of a supermarket in Trinity Street in Coventry.

Mr Chander, from Leamington Spa, also faces two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He was not asked to enter a plea during a five-minute hearing at Coventry Magistrates' Court and was granted unconditional bail to appear at Warwick Crown Court on 6 October.
I wonder what his plea will be .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top