Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 12:36 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Welcome home Jem.

I lost my Godmother on Easter Sunday, I was with her to the end.
As she passed away in a care home over Easter, over here, everything is held up!!!! Driving me crazy, and I am still very upset.

Good News is that I am flying to Dublin very soon, so you can either go into hiding, or arrange to meet me and my family.
Sorry to hear the sad news Sweetie, looks like we all have our cross to carry.

About Dublin, thanks for the warning Sweetie, I think I’ll go into hiding.

Seriously, thanks for the invite, but I don’t go in for meeting other members or arrangements as such, I'm too long in the tooth now “I love them just the way they are” as the old song goes, so I’ll let you and your family enjoy your stay in peace.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
So sorry to hear about the sad loss of your Sister in Law, Jem

My sincere condolences to Phyllis and yourself. x
Thank you Mags, Phyllis asked me to thank you too.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Commiserations to both yourself and Phyllis for your loss but thankful it was a quiet passing. Although it doesn't make the loss any easier it is all one would hope for.

(The Remove (education) ... At Eton College, the Remove was historically immediately above the Fourth Form and corresponded to "E Block" (Year 10).

Impress your mates with that one Jem
Thank you Solo.
I shall indeed impress that lot of rabble in the pub with my new found knowledge of “The remove”, talk about the beggar on horseback.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Sorry to hear the sad news Sweetie, looks like we all have our cross to carry.

About Dublin, thanks for the warning Sweetie, I think I’ll go into hiding.

Seriously, thanks for the invite, but I don’t go in for meeting other members or arrangements as such, I'm too long in the tooth now “I love them just the way they are” as the old song goes, so I’ll let you and your family enjoy your stay in peace.
That's fine Jem.
There is so much to do for us.
Sorry for your loss, I have had so many recently, I just need to get away.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

24-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Isn’t it nice to have met so many interesting people from all walks of life RJ, it creates a rich collection of memories one can call upon to add to topics when in conversation, as my old Dad used to say, there’s no better university than the public house.

Speaking of phones Sweetie, a lot of people are being buried now with their mobile phones, no kidding, what’s that all about?
I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine died suddenly, he worked all his life in Posts and Telegraphs, his lovely Wife Linda told me at the funeral parlour that she had put his phone into the coffin to be buried with him, I whispered to her that I hope he doesn’t ring her up in the middle of the night to say goodbye as he never got the chance before he fell off the transmitter mast.
I also told her that he would have no problems getting a signal as the big black car transporting the coffin was a Mercedes 5 Mega Hearse.

That is strange indeed Pug me lad. Buried twice eh?, maybe that’s what they mean by a double indemnity life insurance policy.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 12:54 PM

In all truth,Jem,I can think only that it was a 'family' only affair for his wallet.
Chris never saw hide nor hair of his crappy kids,nor his sister-yet the very DAY he died in bed,with Dave on side and myself the other...his piece-of-sh1t son arrived and was LOOTING the place! So 'son' and I had a [ahem] 'quiet word',regarding his trying to empty his father's home of anything/everything worth a bob-OTHER than his father's body,which required HIM to notify the authorities/hospital/funeral parlour,regarding the removal thereof....and he told me to ''eff off,it's got f/a t'do wiv you!''
.....which was the point at which he seemingly suddenly lost his balance and fell,breaking his nose. He WAS given every chance to admit what really happened...but he has MUCH more greed than courage,Jem.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

26-04-2019, 02:00 PM

What an ignorant son to have, no harm in teaching him a lesson in respect Pug me lad, he won’t forget that in a hurry, every time he blows his nose he’ll think of his dead father.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

26-04-2019, 02:06 PM

A little bird was telling me that you gave up smoking Sweetie, is that true? if so I take my hat off to you, not an easy achievement I can tell you, I’ve failed dozens of times in my lifetime.
I have however managed to cut down severely, but it has taken me over three years to do so, gradually lowering my intake of nicotine over that time, an old retired doctor friend of mine who smoked in his younger days and quit, advised me against stopping suddenly if I was a lifelong smoker, set a goal and stick to it says he, so that suited me much better.
I was smoking about 30 a day when in “full flight”, I have now managed to reduce that to 5 per day, 5 a day was my original goal and I’m happy I managed that, I have no wish to reduce my intake any further as I really enjoy my 5 a day as it is.
Having a smoke is a real treat now, whereas I was just smoking for the sake of it before, I feel like that writer fella in the film “Misery”, when he finishes off a book and types ’the end” it’s his special treat then to lay back in his armchair, pour a glass of 14 year old whiskey, and light up a single cigarette, pure heaven. (I could have my films mixed up, but I’m almost sure it was James Caan in “Misery”)
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 04:58 PM

I still consider myself a smoker. I just haven't had a cigarette for 15 years ...

Never a day goes by when I don't think of lighting up, but it doesn't bother me anymore thankfully.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

26-04-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I still consider myself a smoker. I just haven't had a cigarette for 15 years ...

Never a day goes by when I don't think of lighting up, but it doesn't bother me anymore thankfully.
Well done Bread! Smoking is a very hard nut to crack.
Thanks for being honest about considering yourself as being a smoker still, most of those I know who quit are worse at criticising smokers than those who never smoked.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top