Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:11 PM

Re: What type of computer do you use...

My son and I built this desktop. It was interesting as it was my first but my son as built a few in the past.

What was my criteria for the build and should be the first question if doing it yourself. This can dictate the components used. In my case it was for photography so graphics cards came high on the list .

In the build first was the computer case, this had to have a good airflow as the cooler a computer runs the more efficient. So we choose one with a front back vents against one with a side vent. this should help better with air flow.
Next was the processor. Looking things up I did read that an I7 processor was better than an I5 for video work so that is what we went for. Apart from adding a 250GB SSd card and a HD card for memory also taking into consideration was how quiet it ran.

So fan change all round to run quite and at the same time a silent CD/DVD drive.

As the case came with plenty of USB3 and USB2 ports that wasn't a concern to upgrade.

At the same time boosted the Power unit to 750W to allow ample power for any future additions. RAM was also upgraded to 16 megabytes, far more than really needed but allows for several programs to run at once.

Moving on, by hand picking individual components and doing it ourselves (more my son than I) it allows us to know what exactly is the computer build and if things go wrong what and how to replace or upgrade.

Cost wise , if you could even buy the same shop wise,( which you can't as a ready made) is a fraction of shop prices and that is using the best components, even down to gold component contacts which I guess cheaper shop built ones don't have.

The longest part of the build was selecting components which took a good few weeks as the choice is tremendous, assembly only a couple of hours.

Allthough the heading is for computers I would also add monitors. No good having a sooper dooper computer if the monitor can't handle it. but that is requiring another thread.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:37 PM

MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone....

The forum surely enjoys it best when I am on the iPad or phone because it reduces my verbosity .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:40 PM

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16k, + 2 tin cans and a bit of string.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16k, + 2 tin cans and a bit of string.
Heavens yes, you just reminded me also that I also use an Etch A Sketch....and smoke signals.

Such is the internet where I am...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:50 PM

I-Pad and I-phone, but my preference is for my faithful old desktop!
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 07:52 PM

Surfermom, where I am in the summer there is no internet available. So I use my cell phone and have a choice of either going by the park trash containers or the children's playground to pick up a signal.

typing on a cell ....grrrrr and with either the smell or screaming kiddies you bet I am brief.

or I can drive and go to the internet cafe and plug in.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 08:52 PM

I use a desktop. I'm not keen on laptops. I use my phone when I'm not home but give me a desktop anytime.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:02 PM

I have never felt the need to use anything other than my Dell desktop.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:15 PM

I might be an oldie, but I try to keep up with the technology of the day. That’s why I now use my iPad and sometimes my iPhone 6s.
As for desktops and laptops. I still have a home brew desktop running dos. Dedicated to the spiders 🕷 in my home. Spectrum 48 lurking in my loft somewhere, with a modem. Those were the days. I wonder if it would still work?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 10:20 PM

I have a Mac Air. I wouldn't buy another one. I don't like the way it jumps around if I am not fast enough for it. I think I will sell it soon and get the Mac Pro instead.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top