Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Re: Pavement Parking.

Nicol, there was a car like that in this street, when my neighbour complained to the house owner, it transpired that the car was her son's and he was working abroad and she did not drive. So it sat there for at least three months with a flat front tyre.

My concern in that with cars parked on both sides of the street, it would make life very difficult shoukd the fire brigade need access.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 09:43 PM

I dont blame the drivers, it is an impossible situation.

One time when my daughter came for the weekend, cars were parked on both sides of the street, so she pulled her hatchback onto my drive beside my house and the neighbour's wall. She could not open her car doors and eventually had to climb out, over the back seat through the boot door. When it was time for her to leave, she had to get back in the same way.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What a brilliant invention!

I wonder if those things would puncture bicycles riding on the pavements too?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I wonder if those things would puncture bicycles riding on the pavements too?
Or pedestrians' feet!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 01:11 AM

Drivers don't choose to park on pavements, by and large they have no choice.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 08:43 AM

It seems like a brilliant idea but there could be problems.

What if a car had to pull onto the pavement to make way for an emergency vehicle?

There would be a lot of work for the call out services if cars was stuck there with four flat tyres. It would be chaos...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 09:35 AM

Not a sensible idea, occasionally you have to park part of your car on the pavement. However, some people don't leave enough room for people to walk passed and they are forced into the road, which is wrong.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
There would be a lot of work for the call out services if cars was stuck there with four flat tyres. It would be chaos...
Or even one tyre. Many cars don't have spare wheels these days and those tyre inflator kits won't seel up a large hole, perhaps large enough to write off a tyre.

The car would be stuck there for hours until the AA or similar organisation can come and sort out the situation ..and they've got to park somewhere.

Pavement parking does cause problems but I'm sure that invention isn't the answer. What if someone falls onto one, or you get one that's too sensitive and it goes off when stepped on by a heavy person. Even wheeled over by a power chair or mobility scooter. Some of those are quite a weight with the rider and all.

Pavement parking is often unavoidable. All I'd ask is that enough room is left for pedestrians, baby buggies, wheelchairs etc to get though on the inside and not have to go out on the road.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 09:47 AM

The highway code does not permit pavement parking unless there are signs to say it’s permitted.

End of in my opinion.

Anyone who parks on a pavement needs to grow a pair of legs, find somewhere else to park and then walk.

My biggest bugbear are pavement blockers which force me to wheel my grandkids out onto the road to pass.
CeeCee
UK

16-03-2018, 09:49 AM

What is even worse is when a car is half on the pavement across a dropped kerb. If you are in a mobility scooter on the pavement you cannot get past on the path, nor can you get onto the road because of the kerb. I have been stuck like that.

There is one van parked on my street/pavement that not even pedestrians can squeeze past. I know he does this to allow room for emergency vehicles, but I do get very worried about trying to get down the kerb safely, hence the reason I travel on the road.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top