Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Re: Pavement Parking.

Much the same problem with us CeeCee. We are a couple with me as the carer. I can go out onto the road and be hopefully visible to motorists before my wife uses the nearest dropped kerbs to get down onto the road and back up again. If someone has parked across a dropped kerb then the distance travelled on the road is longer.

I quite often go knocking on doors and most people will come out and move a vehicle quite apologetically and amiably. This can sometimes take quite time though and very often, we just want to keep moving. Going out onto the road does mean we can keep moving it but carries risks of course.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
What is even worse is when a car is half on the pavement across a dropped kerb. If you are in a mobility scooter on the pavement you cannot get past on the path, nor can you get onto the road because of the kerb. I have been stuck like that.

There is one van parked on my street/pavement that not even pedestrians can squeeze past. I know he does this to allow room for emergency vehicles, but I do get very worried about trying to get down the kerb safely, hence the reason I travel on the road.
I don't think mobility scooters should be permitted to be driven on pavements, that is dangerous for pedestrians, imo.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I don't think mobility scooters should be permitted to be driven on pavements, that is dangerous for pedestrians, imo.
My street is so quiet, I have never yet met anyone walking on the pavement. When I am out elsewhere on my scooter, I move right over to allow pedestrians and mothers with pushchairs to pass, before continuing. It is all about good manners and consideration for others imo.

Perhaps you would rather ban us from ever going out altogether?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:10 AM

My street is so quiet, I have never yet met anyone walking on the pavement. When I am out elsewhere on my scooter, I move right over to allow pedestrians and mothers with pushchairs to pass, before continuing. It is all about good manners and consideration for others imo.

The rules of the road should apply to mobility scooters like any other vehicle, imo.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Or even one tyre. Many cars don't have spare wheels these days and those tyre inflator kits won't seel up a large hole, perhaps large enough to write off a tyre.
Good point. When we were looking at buying a new car, the provision of a spare wheel was an important factor. The VW we were looking at came with a spare wheel; the Mazda we were looking at had only one of those cheap options you mention. Although it wasn't the only reason for our choice, it helped tip the balance.

Pavement parking is often unavoidable. All I'd ask is that enough room is left for pedestrians, baby buggies, wheelchairs etc to get though on the inside and not have to go out on the road.
That has to be the answer: a compromise. No-one is going to widen the roads. Damn it, they won't even mend the potholes. In fairness to them though, our councils have other priorities: their leaders' generous salaries and pensions, for example.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Don't worry CeeCee, as a mobility scooter user, you will know that the people you come across outside are not like the people who express negative opinions on forums. I suppose it is possible you might meet an uncompromising person but have you?

Our life has meant a series of mobility scooters and power wheelchairs for nearly 25 years and I have to say we can count on one hand the number of grumpy people we have come across.

Easy for the odd person to be negative I suppose but then they are usually still able to get around without a scooter/wheelchair. They'd probably have a change of heart if they couldn't.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:25 AM

The rules of the road should apply to mobility scooters like any other vehicle, imo.
Living alone, as I do, how do you suggest I get my shopping done? I cant afford to pay online delivery costs on fifteen pounds worth of food (my weekly spend)?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Living alone, as I do, how do you suggest I get my shopping done? I cant afford to pay online delivery costs on fifteen pounds worth of food (my weekly spend)?
What has that go to do with anything? If you ride a mobility scooter you should have to observe the rules of the road. I have seen so many near accidents over the years when people riding the things have nearly run over pedestrians, including children. We lived in Eastbourne, right next to the prom for nine ghastly months, in 2005, where the elderly riding their mobility scooters made the prom very unsafe indeed.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:40 AM

I agree, and I don’t think they should be used in shopping malls. I’ve often had to avoid them or be run over, they travel so fast.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Don't worry CeeCee, as a mobility scooter user, you will know that the people you come across outside are not like the people who express negative opinions on forums. I suppose it is possible you might meet an uncompromising person but have you?

Our life has meant a series of mobility scooters and power wheelchairs for nearly 25 years and I have to say we can count on one hand the number of grumpy people we have come across.

Easy for the odd person to be negative I suppose but then they are usually still able to get around without a scooter/wheelchair. They'd probably have a change of heart if they couldn't.

Caring about safety does not make one negative.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top