Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 11:22 PM

Re: Cyclists who ignore the rules of the road!

Are horse riders insured to ride in the roads? Slightly off topic I know, but riders seem to have one hell of an attitude around here, a sort of ‘ how dare you ride your smelly automobile when primrose and I are out exercising...and don’t you dare drive past us at more than 1 mile per fortnight...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Are horse riders insured to ride in the roads? Slightly off topic I know, but riders seem to have one hell of an attitude around here, a sort of ‘ how dare you ride your smelly automobile when primrose and I are out exercising...and don’t you dare drive past us at more than 1 mile per fortnight...
If they aren't, they're fools. Mending a horse is a damned sight more expensive than mending a velocipede!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 12:33 AM

Cyclists should have registration plates the same as cars. It's ridiculous that they are anonymous. If you are cycling on a busy road then it's no different to a scooter. You should have insurance and a reg plate. I've had one arrogant lycra lout twist my wing mirror off (even though he didn't bother using the cycle lane) and another block the road with her bike and yell at me because I looked at her in a way she didn't like (she had jumped in front of my car). When I was at Uni a cyclist followed my landlady to work to pick a fight about her driving. She thought it was unbelievable. Time for some controls to be put in place. But dream on if you think that will happen.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Cyclists should have registration plates the same as cars. It's ridiculous that they are anonymous. If you are cycling on a busy road then it's no different to a scooter. You should have insurance and a reg plate. I've had one arrogant lycra lout twist my wing mirror off (even though he didn't bother using the cycle lane) and another block the road with her bike and yell at me because I looked at her in a way she didn't like (she had jumped in front of my car). When I was at Uni a cyclist followed my landlady to work to pick a fight about her driving. She thought it was unbelievable. Time for some controls to be put in place. But dream on if you think that will happen.

Interesting thought Annie.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 09:23 AM

When I was a child bicycles in my home island had to have a licence, just like those for a car. I remember issuing the licences to people when I was 11, it was great fun. It was part of my father's parish duties as he rose up the ranks in island politics.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 10:23 AM

It's the ones who ride on the pavements that do my head in; and I'm not talking about cycling slowly, either.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Cycling is a big sport here In NI. The roads are often jammed with club cyclists

You learn to accept them as being road users and grant them the same courtesy as you do any other road user. We even have what we used to call public information ads drumming it into us

As for helmets, you would be stupid to ride without one seeing the state of our roads
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It's the ones who ride on the pavements that do my head in; and I'm not talking about cycling slowly, either.
As a cyclist myself I agree, and I won’t move out of their way, pavements are for pedestrians not cyclists ( or cars ).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
last year i got off a bus outside my local pub and before my other foot touched the ground a cyclist sped right past me. A split second later he would have crashed into me as he only missed me by a whisker.
I shouted something beginning with f and the second word i'm certain was 'idiot!'. He waved two fingers (or possibly a 'curled around thumb and finger up and down motion'), stalled a little and shouted "come on then!". So i started to walk towards him using my best arnie 'carrying a telly under each arm' gait and scowl. He whizzed off down the next street and i couldn't find him. If i had, he and his bike would have metamorphosised into some kind of hybrid mutant mode of vehicular transportation.
I was ready for my pint.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 12:24 PM

I never cycle on a pedestrian-only footpath but it's interesting to see how other parts of the World handle cycling. A quote below from this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38688256

In other parts of the world, cycling alongside pedestrians is seen as the norm.

Countries including Germany, Switzerland and Spain have invested in large networks of cycle paths or pavements that are split between cyclists and pedestrians.

Some cities in the US, such as Minneapolis and Portland, have also rolled out the extra space for those on two wheels.

And in places like Fukuoka, Japan, bicycles are banned from the road entirely and wide pavements ensure safety for both walkers and riders.
One thing I notice around here is that quite a few people who cycle on the pavements don't appear to be of English origin. I wonder if cycling on the pavement is acceptable where they came from? If this is the case, of course they ought to abide by our laws ..but that might take some doing if cycling on footpaths has been thought OK where they came from.

I note that in the article linked to, the Police will enforce the law regarding cycling on pavement to the letter in some places but might be more lenient in others.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top