Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Re: How should you treat a disabled person?

Originally Posted by mart ->
Walking is not an option for wheelchair-bound people and some allowances might have to be made for this. Other than that, treat disabled people the same as you would anyone else. Even if their disability makes them appear different or they are difficult to understand, try to behave normally yourself. Most of the time, disabled people are in there, they understand perfectly but can't express themselves.

I used to go to a house where their disabled son (cerebral palsy) was like that and in the end, the customer would request that I was the one sent there. The reason being that I'd talk to the bloke normally until I could get the hang of what he was saying. He was a bright person inside, yet probably shunned by many.

My wife is thought well of in our community, I'll swear not many actually see her wheelchair now. They see only the person. Very bright and turns out some note-worthy craft items. If all that others see is a nuisance or a danger in a power wheelchair, that's their loss.
Mart that is very much my own observation from looking after disabled children .
It is all about taking the time to watch and listen I think.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Have you found that folks have adapted to, and accepted, the change of personality mesco.m
My sister has found it more difficult than the rest of us but then she is obviously closer in many ways than anyone else.

She herself is undergoing counselling to help her deal with it better. It was explained to her that it's like suffering a bereavement because he is a changed man.

There is humour in it though because he seems to have lost his filter and whatever he thinks is what comes out of his mouth.
Sometimes you cringe other times it's hilarious.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 06:52 PM

the body may be less abled but the mind isn't, so treat people as you would expect them to treat you and don't patronise and make the person feel inferior. Saying that, there are some people who actually enjoy being 'mollycoddled' and looked after, letting people do things for them when they are quite capable of doing things for themselves. I know because I have a family member who does just that.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
the body may be less abled but the mind isn't, so treat people as you would expect them to treat you and don't patronise and make the person feel inferior. Saying that, there are some people who actually enjoy being 'mollycoddled' and looked after, letting people do things for them when they are quite capable of doing things for themselves. I know because I have a family member who does just that.
So do I and it annoys me no end. My mother in law was an amazing woman, she lived until she was 97, and lived alone, she was fiercely independent and needed no help nor would she accept any until the last few months of her life.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 07:21 PM

Hi

My life changed dramatically when I was injured in 1989.

I was dumped on the scrapheap.

Sod that for a Game of Marbles.

I was compulsory medically discharged in 1991,never to walk or work again.

I did both.

I will never run again, I will never play Rugby again.

So what ?

No wheelchair, no crutches,no stick.

I still travel,more slowly than others,but so what?

Life is for living.

I intend to make the most of it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My life changed dramatically when I was injured in 1989.

I was dumped on the scrapheap.

Sod that for a Game of Marbles.

I was compulsory medically discharged in 1991,never to walk or work again.

I did both.

I will never run again, I will never play Rugby again.

So what ?

No wheelchair, no crutches,no stick.

I still travel,more slowly than others,but so what?

Life is for living.

I intend to make the most of it.
Good for you Swimfeeders, I like your positivity
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Our youngest adopted son (33) has Down's Syndrome, he is quite severely mentally disabled, but we have always treated him as we would treat anyone else. I tease him, just as I would tease our daughters, and he keeps telling me I am VERY, VERY OLD! (he has been saying that since he was 4 years old!) When he lived with us he was expected to help with the chores, as were his sisters, but he did it with a good grace, which is more than can be said for them, who always used the homework they had to do as an excuse.

I home schooled him as the primary school he attended couldn't provide him with the support he needed. The special school, we viewed when we moved to another part of the UK, was appalling to put it mildly. The school inspectors, whom I called in on a regular basis to check I was doing a good job, were complimentary.

As writing was hard for him I decided to make it interesting and got him to write to famous people in the hope they might reply. He has four scrap books of their replies and has met some of them in person too, like Ken Dodd.

He has been on several educational trips abroad, which he seemed to enjoy, as did our girls.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top