Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:06 AM

Re: 9/11

Hi

A very good and poignant thread.

Thanks for posting it Muddy.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:14 AM

*** some posts have been removed, now can we get back on topic please.

Thank you
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:22 AM

I work at a Newspaper and in those days people still bought and read them so lots of editions that day.....was a crazy sad day

I did visit the memorial site a couple of years ago in New York and you have to be impressed with how they have paid tribute to the dead, very poignant it was though
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:15 AM

My wife was having major surgery on that day so I really wasn't aware of anything else. Only when she came out of the operating theatre safe and well did I go home and see it on the news. A truly terrible event.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
I work at a Newspaper and in those days people still bought and read them so lots of editions that day.....was a crazy sad day

I did visit the memorial site a couple of years ago in New York and you have to be impressed with how they have paid tribute to the dead, very poignant it was though
I have been there too. It really makes it hit home.

Good thread Muddy bless you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Captain Surfermom, an airline pilot, was flying that morning over the East Coast. He had no way of contacting me for several hours because he was, like other pilots that day, flying in holding patterns for as long as possible. Every airborne plane became a potential bomb in the eyes of the military, thus the holding patterns. Each plane had to be vetted.

The skies over America were filled with huge circular contrails most of the day from planes on hold. I was concerned, but not worried. My emotion was rage.

By nightfall I had booked two separate flights for my family, and I pushed the school administration not to lock down our schools. I put the flag in the flagpole on the front porch and resolved not to take it down until the guilty parties were killed or captured.

There was no way I was going to give a millimeter or microsecond to subhumans in the form of fear or panic. Obviously, that is what they hoped for.

Captain Surfermom, came home after his rounds of flights a few days later. We both agreed that the most American thing he could do would be to keep flying. As a military reserve pilot, he was activated and went to war shortly afterward.

I flew the flag until Bin Laden was captured.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have been there too. It really makes it hit home.

Good thread Muddy bless you.
I have some photos somewhere I will see if I can dig them out

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Captain Surfermom, an airline pilot, was flying that morning over the East Coast. He had no way of contacting me for several hours because he was, like other pilots that day, flying in holding patterns for as long as possible. Every airborne plane became a potential bomb in the eyes of the military, thus the holding patterns. Each plane had to be vetted.

The skies over America were filled with huge circular contrails most of the day from planes on hold. I was concerned, but not worried. My emotion was rage.

By nightfall I had booked two separate flights for my family, and I pushed the school administration not to lock down our schools. I put the flag in the flagpole on the front porch and resolved not to take it down until the guilty parties were killed or captured.

There was no way I was going to give a millimeter or microsecond to subhumans in the form of fear or panic. Obviously, that is what they hoped for.

Captain Surfermom, came home after his rounds of flights a few days later. We both agreed that the most American thing he could do would be to keep flying. As a military reserve pilot, he was activated and went to war shortly afterward.

I flew the flag flew until Bin Laden was captured.
Good for you Sufermom and Mr Sufermom, best day to deal with these people is for people who can to continue on with their lives and stand up to them!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Dreadful and it shows how vulnerable we were and still are.
I first heard about when my dear wife called me at work. She was very upset. She is American and had moved to this country not long before this act of terrorism.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:37 PM

On that fateful day we had put the TV on when we heard the first plane had crashed into the Tower. We were just in time to see the second plane crash into it. That horrific event is something that will always live with absolute clarity in my memory.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 02:47 PM

We remember that day well. My husband and I had gone out to get a mulberry tree. At the nursery they needed a big back hoe to get it and put it in our vehicle. When we got home we had such a difficult time moving it because it was too darned heavy and we fought. Once we discovered what was happening in the rest of the world , our silly argument seemed insignificant. Now our mulberry tree is our 9/11 tree.

Our world did forever change that day.
Later on to see other people cheering about the news was even more devastating and I’ll never live long enough to understand that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top