Join for free
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Storage Heaters.

Has anyone got them?

Any recommendations?

Mine is the old type,and is using a lot of electricity,

They say I'm on economy 7,but I'm not so sure.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Re: Storage Heaters.

You can tell if you have economy 7 by looking at your meter. It has two dials if you have it. Also you should get a bill listed night time rates and what you use too.

We used to have storage heaters I wouldn't dream of saying I know anything about the new ones though. Ours were huge beasts absolutely top heat first thing in the morning and freezing cold from about 3pm !

There are a lot of other electric heaters cost not too much to run these days, we have convectors at the caravan that cost less than 2p an hour. But obviously a caravan is a smaller area than a house.

I think I'd try to get expert advice.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 10:45 AM

I don't have any dials Julie,..I would like to get expert advice,but who can I trust?..CAB maybe,at least they would point me in the right direction,I hope!.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 01:18 PM

I don't know how old you are pauline so forgive me if I am aging you, but age concern have a lot of good advice on many things, I've sent my older neighbours off to them several times and they've come back very impressed with the information they were given.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 02:17 PM

If you have storage radiators, then it is more than likely you are on E7. Take a look at your bill, as Julie suggests.

I have them in my flat and TBH I hate them! Yes they do cost a lot to run. Up until a few months ago I had the old type Dimplex in my lounge and bedroom, with one in the hall. Some neighbours and I were given the opportunity to replace a couple with brand new up to date digital ones, still by Dimplex, and four of us took up the offer. This was all free of charge, paid for by the Mayor of London.

They replaced the main one in the lounge, and the one in the bedroom, leaving an existing old one behind the lounge door, and the one in the hall.

Now. Whilst they are a state of the art thing, they DO take a lot of working out, to get it right, but they don't heat up the whole flat. My bedroom is still like an ice box, but my lounge can get hot and stuffy, especially if I leave the hall one on.

Like the old rads, they are designed to push out heat when the user wants them, but instead of a dial, they have digital entries, and time slots (four slots) for the user to enter manually. But they are also have an annoying fan at the bottom that pushes heat out.

I won't know until January or February how much these new ones are costing to run, as I also had a new meter fitted a few weeks ago, so unless I physically go outside to the meter cupboard to have a look at the readings I won't know the usage. The electrician would have taken a note of the old reading and submitted that to my supplier.

As I explained to my neighbour, these rads are only going to be efficient if we were to have our windows/doors replaced, something the housing association promised (or threatened) to do a few years ago. As leaseholders, we would be liable to contribute towards the costs. This work has gone quiet so we still don't know if it's going ahead, but by heck we need them replaced, because they let in so much draught, AND the window panes just get so cold. I sit here, besides my French door, and shiver at times, when the temperature drops. They draught proofed that door, and a few windows, by applying a rubber seal, but the windows themselves are not efficient.

Personally I would never touch storage rads with a barge pole, and when I look for a new home next year will make sure it has a better heating system.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Sounds like they have a convection part to them these days then. TBH my experience with them I wouldn't have them either Jazzi, but it's expensive to change them I would guess.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

13-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanks Julie,Jazzi,to young for age concern just yet,Julie,..I'm in the middle of joining timeline in our community,visiting the elderly and offering free time and services.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-12-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Thanks Julie,Jazzi,to young for age concern just yet,Julie,..I'm in the middle of joining timeline in our community,visiting the elderly and offering free time and services.
Apologies for that mistake pauline, my only excuse is we can't see each other, I am sure I wouldn't have made that mistake if I had been talking face to face with you.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

13-12-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Apologies for that mistake pauline, my only excuse is we can't see each other, I am sure I wouldn't have made that mistake if I had been talking face to face with you.

You don't have to apologise,Julie,it's not timeline,it's called time banking.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top