Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:04 PM

No dates on Tesco veg

We popped into Tesco today to see if there was anything we could buy that will last until the big day. I am not sure if it is a new thing but they no longer print 'sell by' or 'use by' dates on their veg. I asked the woman stacking the shelves why this was and she said it is Tesco's new policy to save on food waste.

'Fair enough' I said, so how long will these parsnips last then?'

She assured me that they will last until the 25th. I told her that they needed to put a sign up because customers were putting them back because there was no date on them.

The idea is that food tends to last longer than the date printed on the packet but it gets left behind in the shop. My idea in that case would be to extend the date rather than remove it.

What do you think?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Re: No dates on Tesco veg

They stopped putting dates on because people threw stuff out that was absolutely fine to eat. I don't know if they are alone or all do now but it seems like a good idea if it saves waste. But not so good for you today obviously.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:12 PM

What if you'd gone to a market?
Do you think there'd be sell by dates on the veg?
Our mothers and grandmothers didn't need sell by dates for veg and neither should we...veg keep for ages in a cool place.
Use your fingers and your nose and your eyes (expecting rude comments now!)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Our mothers and grandmothers didn't need sell by dates for veg and neither should we...veg keep for ages in a cool place.
Hee hee.

I suppose normally it wouldn't matter as we tend to buy stuff daily and obviously you can tell if it is about to go off or not, I don't suppose I ever really look at the date but the lead up to Christmas is different.

Anyway, I bought the parsnips so if they don't last till the 25th, it will be me wasting them and not the shop.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-12-2018, 05:18 PM

We also called into Lidl to see what they had to offer, again no dates but bags of sprouts that won't make tomorrow morning let alone Christmas day.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:39 PM

My mr tesco brought me a cauliflower this morning looks great and it's huge and only 29p can't fault that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Hi

Please refrain from picking your nose before handling the veg.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Please refrain from picking your nose before handling the veg.
Green veg is OK
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-12-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My mr tesco brought me a cauliflower this morning looks great and it's huge and only 29p can't fault that.
Tbh, It is great value. As you say 29p for cauliflower, parsnips, etc. Cheaper than all the others.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 05:51 PM

How did we ever survive before sell by dates? Oh, we used our common sense that's how....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top