Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:10 PM

Find a tradesman and all the 'Check A... ' sites

You know the ones

Tapping into your brains/experiences please.

Anyone had experiences of them, both good and bad, or maybe you have knowledge that one is better than the rest?

(Equally those to steer well clear of )
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 12:33 AM

Re: Find a tradesman and all the 'Check A... ' sites

I've had good experiences with check a trade.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 01:40 PM

I used check a trade,Pesta,..I always read the reviews,I had a fence put up by one,he did a good job,but was very expensive,..I then found another young guy,who fixed my gate,as it had fallen down,reasonably priced,any more work like that,I will give him the job,..look around Pesta,it may take time,hopefully worth it in the end...good luck!.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks Annie and Pauline

I go stir crazy wading through all the sites and the reviews every time I need something doing.

I had a site where it gave ideas of the true costs of getting jobs done, which was helpful too. I had it bookmarked, but I've lost it so I'll have to search for it again.

I've always found someone in the end, but not from online sites. I must admit I tend to think the good reviews are written by the actual advertiser or their friends
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Pesta these sites do not publish negative reviews unless the customer has first let the traders know that they are not happy. This will put a lot of people off posting negative comments. Because the last thing you want is someone who knows where you live knowing that you were unhappy enough to post a negative review.

So I would take them all with a pinch of salt. I suppose that the fewer good reviews a trader has the less likely they are to be any good.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Pesta these sites do not publish negative reviews unless the customer has first let the traders know that they are not happy. This will put a lot of people off posting negative comments. Because the last thing you want is someone who knows where you live knowing that you were unhappy enough to post a negative review.

So I would take them all with a pinch of salt. I suppose that the fewer good reviews a trader has the less likely they are to be any good.
Your best bet of getting a good tradesman/woman by is word of mouth. Do you know of anyone who has had any jobs done and can they recommend someone. I'm happy to say that all my work was by word of mouth (advertising doesn't work). When you do a good job word gets around. I used to say to my grandson who worked with me on occasion that if you do a good job, people don't tend to mention it until asked but if you do a bad job they tell all and sundry and your business goes down the pan.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

15-02-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Your best bet of getting a good tradesman/woman by is word of mouth. Do you know of anyone who has had any jobs done and can they recommend someone. I'm happy to say that all my work was by word of mouth (advertising doesn't work). When you do a good job word gets around. I used to say to my grandson who worked with me on occasion that if you do a good job, people don't tend to mention it until asked but if you do a bad job they tell all and sundry and your business goes down the pan.
Yes, I agree, but it's finding those that have had a good 'un
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Yes, I agree, but it's finding those that have had a good 'un
I also agree that it's a good way but I've recommended people who have done a good job for us to friends and they don't always do so well for others.

Some traders perform well for people who get the best out of them. So when you have work done you have to be able to predict what you don't want as well as what you do want and be prepared to be assertive. It's not easy at all even with the best skilled traders. Many will prefer to make their own job easier or create more complexity to get a bigger job. Those with integrity are often unavailable because they are so busy!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top