Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Re: Stuck in hospital

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I was in a couple of years ago with gallstone pain. The time flew by in the ward, I did use the day room once I felt a bit better, took my kindle to read in peace n quiet, not used to all those people and their noise. I would have loved a room by myself. Puzzle books are good for passing the time, is there a daily trolly that comes round? They should have them.
Is there no escape, even In Hospital?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Interesting work you do reading your profile.
I haven't managed anything much since the cancer came back last year.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:14 PM

Sorry to hear your in hospital ffosse, it’s a boring place, as I know, I was in for 12 days almost 10 years ago, the first 6 or 7 days I was completely out of it, but as I recovered and got my strength back , I was able to watch tv a lot, but there’s only so much you can watch, how about listening to some radio programmes, I’m a big fan of radio 4 extra, some good comedy shows and plays on there, if you have the internet you can listen to radio stations from around the world..
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Sorry to hear your in hospital ffosse, it’s a boring place, as I know, I was in for 12 days almost 10 years ago, the first 6 or 7 days I was completely out of it, but as I recovered and got my strength back , I was able to watch tv a lot, but there’s only so much you can watch, how about listening to some radio programmes, I’m a big fan of radio 4 extra, some good comedy shows and plays on there, if you have the internet you can listen to radio stations from around the world..
Yes, they re-instated their Wi-Fi and there is the BBC radio app from which to choose from a large number of stations. I have another app which does as you say, play foreign stations.
Feey
Ireland
Feey is male  Feey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:20 PM

i know how you feel i spent 4 months in hospital and was glad they had free internet i got my laptop brought in. what i did during the day was play around on my laptop on different forums, you tube and facebook. then in the evening i was lucky or unlucky enough to have my wife visiting me. she left after visiting hours was over i then when back on my laptop and watched all the soaps and other things on catch up tv. do you get visitiors during the day as i did so that passed away some time too. hope you are not in there much longer and wish you well for the future.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

07-03-2019, 11:22 PM

Thanks, Feey. I've had a few visitors but not consistently. My sister is in the business of helping me sort out my will and other legal matters so those aren't really visits I look forward to, although it's always nice to see her.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:33 PM

Puzzle books
Audio Books
Kindle
Jig Saw
Writing - I know you say your concentration is not good - but you write in short bursts.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Hi, Ffosse, since the first of the year, I've spent eight weeks in the hospital with my daughter. What we did:

The first thing we did was find out how far we could go - gardens, floors, etc. We asked about neat places that most patients might miss. Sure enough, we found Lifeflight on the top floor and talked to the pilots, the best fish tanks in the hospital, and various art. We even found where we could go listen to grand rounds lectures (teaching hospital).

We asked when pet therapy was and made sure we were visited by the dogs and cats when they made their rounds.

We put a walking app on the phone and walked every day, walking a little further each time.

I asked for physical therapy for my daughter. They gauged her fitness level and came up with activities that would help her maintain and build her fitness during treatment. It was excellent! The recumbent bike and elliptical machines were really good for her because they are stable, help build stamina, and get the happy neurotransmitters moving.

While walking, we found sunny spots. Those became our treat locations. Every morning after doctors' rounds and after the most painful treatments, we would buy a cup of chai, coffee, lemon cake or some other treat and go there for a morning break.

I bought a yoga mat and some dial up weights - the ones that can be separated from three pounds up to 25. I looked on Youtube and found workouts - abs, arms, legs, yoga, stretching etc. and did those every afternoon when things tend to quiet down.

I reorganized my photos on my computer and music library. I set up a playlist for each meal in hopes that it might stimulate my daughter's appetite a little.

I downloaded podcasts - my current favorite a course by Robert Sapulsky on Human Behavior Biology from Stanford. Superb! Ted talks.

I wrote kudos letters about the nurses, housekeepers, reception staff and sent them to their superiors.

We researched obscure movies and concerts. Every night we would pop popcorn (I bet nursing has a microwave around there somewhere) and watch one or the other that we especially set aside for the evening.

There are usually a mix of clerics on staff (Catholic, Methodist, Islamic, Buddhist, no C of E here though) to come visit to pick their brains and otherwise generally converse. My favorite was a two hour conversation/debate on the philosophy of human migration. Phenomenal.

We wrote names of literally everyone we met and I wrote letters of appreciation to their supervisors.

We explored the menus of every restaurant and grocery store that would deliver, and we would make a habit of ordering out on Friday night.

I have a subscription that gives me access to medical journals so I could learn all the terminology and the latest studies on anything related to my daughter's disease. Better done in the morning than at night.

I read up on and tried (but largely failed) meditation. Many of the patients who were in long term recommend it.

I did some research and ordered a ukulele. I started learning how to tune it and do some rudimentary playing. ("It's a good thing that rooms have doors," said the other patients.

It's tough, I know. I hope this helps.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 11:54 PM

Keeping a diary may help.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Ffosse,
Sorry to hear that you are in hospital again. Not good.
but at least you can do something to pass the time but I can understand the boring aspect.
A couple of years ago I was in for a week with cellulitis and shingles. I was on intravenous drips I was in an isolation ward and practically comatose most of the time. Not the best week of my life.

Today was boring. Cataract surgery. Appointment at 15:30. Surgery at 18:30. That was a boring wait.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top