Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Painful Knee

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee about 3 years ago and it was very painful. I've since lost lots of weight and it has been so much better, barely bothering me for the past year up until just recently.

Yesterday when I was at work I felt the side of my knee locking up and becoming really stiff it was excruciatingly painful and I was limping, it felt like it was going to snap.

When I got up today it felt fine but the longer I have been on my feet today it has got progressively worse and very painful again.

I've come home and put some ibuprofen gel on which hasn't helped much.

I lost myself and gained a tremendous amount of weight during my grief and when I was very heavy I was barely able to walk so losing all this weight opened up a whole new life for me and I got my life back and I've been feeling so much happier with my life.

I'm devastated as since i have lost all the weight I have taken up walking and really enjoy exercising these days by walking a lot and now I'm scared that my knee is damaged further.

The pain is on the outer side of my left knee and when it locks its so painful.

Any advice that may help will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:38 PM

Re: Painful Knee

I can only suggest acupuncture Queeny, my BIL had that problem, it worked for him. Sorry, I can't help more, but big hugs sent. x
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:48 PM

Sending hugs too, LQ. Hope you can find some pain relief somehow.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Hi LC try an ice pack a couple of times a day (wrapped in a thin cotton tea towel) and keep your knee elevated when you can.

I recently tore the medial meniscus in my knees (inside knee) and it was so painful. It has taken 3 months to heal. I went to see a physio who gave me some exercises to do and said keep up with the ice and elevation.

I bought a great ice pack made of gel which wraps around the knee which has been great.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FlexiKold-I...11-spons&psc=1
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi LC try an ice pack a couple of times a day (wrapped in a thin cotton tea towel) and keep your knee elevated when you can.

I recently tore the medial meniscus in my knees (inside knee) and it was so painful. It has taken 3 months to heal. I went to see a physio who gave me some exercises to do and said keep up with the ice and elevation.

I bought a great ice pack made of gel which wraps around the knee which has been great.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FlexiKold-I...11-spons&psc=1
Hey thanks for this Meg, I might just order one of those, I'm hoping the problem isn't long term and something that will get better with time. It's horrible when it locks and feels like its about to snap so the ice pack should really help . Thank you again x
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Sounds like it could be a cartilage problem. That presents itself with the ability to bend the knee but not straighten it again. We used to treat those as a stretcher case as the `patient` was unable to stand or walk. Would be worth a visit to the doc's if it gets any worse.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Sounds like it could be a cartilage problem. That presents itself with the ability to bend the knee but not straighten it again. We used to treat those as a stretcher case as the `patient` was unable to stand or walk. Would be worth a visit to the doc's if it gets any worse.
Thanks Judd, I did wonder if it was my cartilage, my dad many years ago had a cartilage problem, I remember him being in Batley hospital on traction.

I will go to docs if it gets worse, I'm praying it doesn't, it's really upset me this past two days
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 01:04 AM

I'd also have it checked. I fell earlier this year (I'm 85) and when they x-rayed my knees, there was almost no cartilage left on the inner portion of either knee. The outer portions still appeared to have healthy cartilage. He said that a partial knee replacement might be the answer but they would cortisone shots before that.

He recommended a couple of months of twice a week PT which made some improvement but as you mentioned, If I stand for any length of time the pain grows and bending the knee is difficult. If you're younger then it might be worth looking into the replacement, full or partial depending on the doc's opinion. Good luck.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 03:48 AM

Get it checked, LQ. It could need to be realigned (don't do this yourself) or it could be a meniscus tear, so treat it seriously.

You've done such a great job with your health and fitness that this must be a concern, but I think you'll find a solution.

Take care.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee about 3 years ago and it was very painful. I've since lost lots of weight and it has been so much better, barely bothering me for the past year up until just recently.

Yesterday when I was at work I felt the side of my knee locking up and becoming really stiff it was excruciatingly painful and I was limping, it felt like it was going to snap.

When I got up today it felt fine but the longer I have been on my feet today it has got progressively worse and very painful again.

I've come home and put some ibuprofen gel on which hasn't helped much.

I lost myself and gained a tremendous amount of weight during my grief and when I was very heavy I was barely able to walk so losing all this weight opened up a whole new life for me and I got my life back and I've been feeling so much happier with my life.

I'm devastated as since i have lost all the weight I have taken up walking and really enjoy exercising these days by walking a lot and now I'm scared that my knee is damaged further.

The pain is on the outer side of my left knee and when it locks its so painful.

Any advice that may help will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, time to get serious darlin'. What you need to do is to see an Orthopaedic surgeon (obviously you'll need to do this via your GP). What you need is an Arthroscopy - its a small operation in which the surgeon inserts two probes in your knee, one is a camera to allow him/her to see what they're doing, the other one is a tiny saw (the best way to describe it is the PacMan computer game - which travels along the line munching as it goes). The Surgeon's saw does the same chipping away at all the rough edges of your cartilege.

You can have a 'general' anaesthetic and be out of it entirely or, like me, have an Epidural and watch the surgeon on the television camera as he tidies up the cartilege.

In the meantime, to alleviate the pain you're suffering, talk nicely to your GP and say DF118 & Oromorph.

Good luck !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top