Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Re: Trying to sleep in warm weather

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sunday nights are the worst for me, Baz as it's the first night back after the weekend. Just as you're getting your sleep pattern back it starts all over again. So many of my colleagues are developing health problems too. Someday....

Yes, I did write a similar thread last year (but maybe that wasn't me?!) and someone mentioned a humidifier. This little thing seems a better option as it's not as expensive.
It was the same for me really but one good thing is that it's better to be on a permanent shift, even nights than the three shift system of 6-2, 2-10, 10-6 rotating, that is a real nasty one! The best one I once worked was three 12-hour night shifts rotating over the weeks so every so often it was a whole week off in addition to the days in between shifts. Some that I worked with went on holiday for that week!

On the health front though I know you keep yourself fit, however, one thing to bear in mind working what I call 'silly' shifts is that it's reckoned our bodies have mechanisms to control blood pressure via daylight, working nights means not much daylight. I eventually had high blood pressure but like a lot of us men I didn't get checked as I was seldom unwell so never went to the GPs and never knew for possibly ten years. That didn't do my health much good. Getting myself checked, finding out and possibly having to take a tablet every day might have saved me from a heart attack some 12 years' ago now. It wasn't just the shifts though as I was also very stressed by my personal situation but those hours certainly didn't help.

I don't recall it being yourself who posted that thread about the humidifier unit I am thinking of. Perhaps that same person who gave a view on it might see this and again give an opinion on it?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Have you tried Kalms? You can get them at the chemist.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	46265011_0_640x640.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	9072  
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:11 PM

That's right Baz. Sorry to hear about your heart attack by the way.
I do keep myself fit but my job is quite active as well and now I think I'm doing too much, so the exercise may need to settle a little as it contributes to my fatigue. Catch-22 really.

A cod liver oil capsule and a vitamin D3 tablet does work towards my health needs though.
Come 60, I'm definitely leaving and getting a job I want to do, part-time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Have you tried Kalms? You can get them at the chemist.
Yes I have Roxy, but my main issue is the heat. It's not doing me any good.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's right Baz. Sorry to hear about your heart attack by the way.
I do keep myself fit but my job is quite active as well and now I think I'm doing too much, so the exercise may need to settle a little as it contributes to my fatigue. Catch-22 really.

A cod liver oil capsule and a vitamin D3 tablet does work towards my health needs though.
Come 60, I'm definitely leaving and getting a job I want to do, part-time.
Thanks for your kind words. Those steps you take towards your health needs may well be saving you health problems. Vitamin D and the lack of it is reckoned to be part of the problem of high blood pressure, together with lack of sunlight. The NHS link below gives some details, if you're interested:

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lu...lood-pressure/

I guess the one good thing about me working 'silly' shifts is that it allowed me to semi-retire at 60 (a year before the heart attack) then fully retire at 70 when I considered 55 years of working was more than enough for one lifetime!

Hope your plan to get off nights and get a part-time job you want to do works out for you.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Several hot water bottles in your bed filled with iced water?
Would that help you Floydy?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 09:17 PM

When I did night shift I used to get home have a good English breakfast and a good dose of Night nurse medication, and this combination used to knock me out for a good 6/7 hours, problem solved for me....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Floydy, why don't you treat yourself to a sleep mask? It will block out the light and you will be able to keep the bedroom door open during daytime.

This one (for men or women) gives you 100% blackout.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unimi-Upgra...k+for+sleeping
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-03-2019, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Several hot water bottles in your bed filled with iced water?
Would that help you Floydy?
Not really Carol, a little impractical perhaps? The bed would end up wet through maybe But it's a helpful option nevertheless

Originally Posted by basser ->
When I did night shift I used to get home have a good English breakfast and a good dose of Night nurse medication, and this combination used to knock me out for a good 6/7 hours, problem solved for me....
Sounds nice, basser, but I can't sleep on a full stomach like that. Too health conscious you see. Again, it's not the sleeping, it's the heat factor and air circulation to combat that I need.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Floydy, why don't you treat yourself to a sleep mask? It will block out the light and you will be able to keep the bedroom door open during daytime.

This one (for men or women) gives you 100% blackout.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unimi-Upgra...k+for+sleeping
Great idea. Mags, thank you for this. I'll be ordering that item when I do my internet shopping on Friday (pay day).
Along with the JML gadget, the cooling pillow, Homeland Seasons 6&7 and a new pair of Skechers slippers!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 11:17 AM

When Nathan is on nights he has something similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lmani-Coole...36194710&psc=1 it's not as noisy as a traditional fan and seems to help a lot.

Also I am told those dyson fans while exorbitantly expensive are pretty quiet and effective too. Haven't tried one myself but people at work say they are good.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top