Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Re: Advice needed please What is U3A

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I dont want to end up going to a club of old bodgers. It will just make me feel old and decrepit. I especially dont want to go to a club where they have sing songs.
I know the Doc said I should go out more to mix with people but I cannot take the dogs anywhere that there are other dogs, people or children as I wouldnt risk it. I know when I am out walking them I tend to have to keep away from people and hide away till they have passed by.

Maybe it will be easier and I wont be so isolated when my daughter takes her dogs back.

I'm not even sure whether I want to see people at all anyway. Im probably best just keeping to myself. Im not even sure now whether it was a good idea to come back to the forum.
I feel exactly the same. I do not want to mix with old people as it makes me feel older than I really am. (I am 91 years young) There are times when I hate being on my own but when I do get company I long for the time to say Cheerio. Whatever you do, do not give up the forum. To me it is a way of 'meeting' people. That way you will never feel lonely.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Monday, l joined my local U3A last year. I pick and choose what l want to attend. I have to say, in my area the people in it are quite intellectual types but all so friendly. You can be intellectual but thick in other ways!

I joined the Natural History Group. I also attend all the quizzes. I love the group meetings as they have some great speakers. In fact, the most recent one was by Lady Elizabeth Hamilton who wrote, ‘The Warwickshire Scandal’. She was in her nineties and l was absolutely riveted. She spoke without faltering for over an hour.
Just because you’re of a certain age, doesn’t mean you are old, boring and past it!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
...You can be intellectual but thick in other ways!
Ain't THAT the truth.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Just because you’re of a certain age, doesn’t mean you are old, boring and past it!
You're right there. You only feel your age if you give up.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Monday, I agree with you that you perhaps need younger companions rather than older, but you could give U3A a go just as an experiment?
I thought I'd take a look when I'm 80

Do you enjoy reading when you're on your own?
There's always a book club associated with a local library...

I do Walking For Health on a Thursday, I call it my Old Codgers Group but actually its quite friendly and we have a coffee afterwards. There are actually people of all ages in the group

If you're reasonably mobile and can drive, how about volunteering to do driving for your local Hospice? You get company and responsibility and you're well regarded and indispensable!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 03:32 PM

It used to be that I didn't want to identify with a lot of old people but now don't worry about the sort of image I might be presenting. I'm also a bit of a loner socially but have decided to get out there and give a few things a try anyway.

I accompanied a friend on a couple of U3A walks and have since joined up (£25 for the year). I don't go on all the walks I've signed up for but the ones I have been on were OK, although the walking pace has been a bit slow for me.

Some in the groups are quite a bit older than I am but they are all out there being active and chatting to others. That can't be bad I reckon.

The walks start and end at a pub. Most of the walkers stay for a meal but my friend and I just have a pint and a bag of crisps. He also plays Bridge with a U3A group and someone else I know goes to a Jazz group.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It used to be that I didn't want to identify with a lot of old people...
I used to feel that way when I was younger, but as I get older and realise that inside my head I am roughly in my mid-twenties, it dawned on me that a great many people will be the same as me.

I am therefore identifying with young people stuck inside an old chassis, just like me. It doesn't seem so bad looking at it that way.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I used to feel that way when I was younger, but as I get older and realise that inside my head I am roughly in my mid-twenties, it dawned on me that a great many people will be the same as me.

I am therefore identifying with young people stuck inside an old chassis, just like me. It doesn't seem so bad looking at it that way.
That's a good way of looking at it. We're all always saying how young at heart we are.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Unfortunately the groups I've had a look in on over the last couple of years have been full of women. I'm not good with groups of women. In fact I hate it.

Too many cliques, they even all sit in the same chairs every week.

Give me a room full of blokes any day.

Seriously, I've yet to find anything with more than one male or two males in it. So I gave up. I'd much rather be in my own company.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Unfortunately the groups I've had a look in on over the last couple of years have been full of women. I'm not good with groups of women. In fact I hate it.
Unfortunately that will always be the case, women just live longer than men hence the preponderance of women in any group over 50 y/o.

According to this map the UK has more women than men anyway.

Blue - more females than males
Green - balanced same number of each
Red - more males than females
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Unfortunately that will always be the case, women just live longer than men hence the preponderance of women in any group over 50 y/o.

According to this map the UK has more women than men anyway.

Blue - more females than males
Green - balanced same number of each
Red - more males than females
On first look at your map Brucy it looks like the planet is 75%
female, but closer look reveals that there are more males in
The so called 3rd world area's, which tend to be imo
Overpopulated.
This would skew. the statistics back towards the ideal 50%
However the map was interesting
Did you Google it Brucy?

Best Regards,. Donkeyman.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top