Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Re: Are you a shopping snob?

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We go for quality every time.

That doesn't have anything to do with price but everything to do with complying with our requirements.
But it does have something to do with price doesn't it? People do not generally shop at Waitrose and M&S if they are on a budget. Obviously you can afford to.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Our weekly supermarket shopping is done in Asda but we buy M&S wholemeal bread from the garage mini-market over the road because we like more than Asda's own.

I've got clothes with the George label on them. Also whatever brand Peacocks does. Good enough quality for me.

The only item I spend more than necessary on to get better quality is footwear.

I have eaten in McDonald's a few times because the family likes to go there but don't go out of choice because I'm not that keen on burgers. I prefer Greggs for fast food.
Same here Mart. Good post
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:44 PM

When it comes to electronic stuff I never go cheap - I like quality. Likewise with shoes.
With clothes I'm quite happy with some of the bargain stuff which can be pretty good.

Re food & drink, I don't really care where it comes from as long as it tastes good. I quite like Morrisons & Lidl.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
But it does have something to do with price doesn't it? People do not generally shop at Waitrose and M&S if they are on a budget. Obviously you can afford to.
Just think about a thing being compliant with our requirements. Take our oven. We wanted a thing that would cook a roast - nothing more. We wanted to get maybe three years out of it. We bought a Beko.

For the kitchen hob we wanted an easy clean ceramic thing that would be reliable. We bought a Blaupunkt.

Take cars. A Skoda is a quality car if it ticks all your boxes.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:58 PM

I don't think I am a shopping snob and in some ways I think I am the shopkeeper's nightmare. I'll go into anywhere that I think can meet my need for a good buy for a decent price, preferably a genuine bargain (according to my standards). I don't go for "labels" and refuse to buy something with a name plastered all over it. I am not a walking free advertising board. Quality usually shows itself anyway regardless of the bag you take it home in - it's not always the price or the label that governs quality. If I feel I haven't got a good buy for the money spent on it then I don't buy it again and I go somewhere else next time. This applies to whether something is a high end product or an economy buy. When I buy I ask myself do I want this to last or will a cheap one do the job for the length of time I want to use it. I then buy accordingly.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 06:03 PM

Would never go in Primark its Irish

One of our cars is a Skoda fabulous car cheep as chips and has everything on it

Here in Spain we shop at Mercadona they are the largest supermarket group but only have small stores like the German cut price stores and only sell their own brands but quality is great
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 06:09 PM

I'm definitely not a shopping snob (I was brought up on tinned spaghetti and sav & chips but having been to most of the cheap shops, I can never find what I want. We recently tried our local Aldi and Lidl's and apart from the fact they don't do anything vegetarian for mrs LD, I was really disappointed. (90% of the food was shyte and should have been thrown away, I don't know if that varies between branches. Neither of us drink regularly so no need to buy booze.

Our local Sainsbury's OK but boring, Tesco's is marginally better and cheaper but the best food is definitely in Waitrose. We only go to waitrose occasionally because we couldn't afford it all the time but their stuff is definitely worth the extra money.

I also don't agree that home brands are as good as the known brands when it comes to cereals.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
At one time I shopped at Waitrose as their fruit and vegetables were of better quality than the usual supermarket's. Nothing to do with snobbery or whether I could afford it or not as I also used to buy from the Waitrose Essentials range.

Family also shop at Aldi and Lidl, they find their fruit and vegetables equally good as turnover is high. Then though they had an obvious way of 'taking the Mickey' out of me, the result was the video below. If you have a spare three minutes and want a laugh do watch it as it's brilliant, even though it gives 'some people' a laugh at my expense!

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 06:48 PM

So funny!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:02 PM

Footwear by Shoezone.
Socks by Primark/Peacock or wherever they are reasonable. (I buy men’s)
Clothes by Bon Marche/Yours
Food by Morrisons/Sainsbury’s/Asda/Tesco
Car stuff by Halfords
Miscellaneous stuff by Wilko
Electricals from Curry’s PC World

I also like The Range, Home Bargains, B&M, Ikea.

I do not wear expensive labels, or buy anything in M&S, Debenhams, John Lewis. I find Argos to be expensive.

I miss Staples, Maplins, C&A, Tempo, and there will be a few more names that I can’t remember right now.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top