Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 12:53 PM

New project

Have started a new project, laying a patio, we have a bit of raised garden that is already a seating place, although seldom used, a few slabs laid amongst gravel, we’ve decided to relay this area but to make a proper patio, the slabs are coming Tuesday and we started to remove the old slabs ( to be reused somewhere), we’ve marked out and began to dig out the soil to refill with hardcore , mrs p said we could use the soil around the garden, ( which was better than her idea of filling our trousers and distributing around the park opposite, great escape style ), it soon became clear that we would run out of garden before we did soil, so will be ordering a mini skip tomorrow, my back is hurting already
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Re: New project

I'll bet it is, I wanted a patio bit in our back garden for the table and chairs to sit on along with a few tubs. What should have been a couple of days work turned into almost ten days, two skips, massive expense and a very grumpy other half.
I wish you luck with it..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'll bet it is, I wanted a patio bit in our back garden for the table and chairs to sit on along with a few tubs. What should have been a couple of days work turned into almost ten days, two skips, massive expense and a very grumpy other half.
I wish you luck with it..
Oo er, I plan on 2/3 days at most...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 05:21 AM

So funny Primus I'm buying topsoil just as you are chucking yours....keeps the economy going I suppose
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Sounds like you are going to be busy, Primus.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Have started a new project, laying a patio, we have a bit of raised garden that is already a seating place, although seldom used, a few slabs laid amongst gravel, we’ve decided to relay this area but to make a proper patio, the slabs are coming Tuesday and we started to remove the old slabs ( to be reused somewhere), we’ve marked out and began to dig out the soil to refill with hardcore , mrs p said we could use the soil around the garden, ( which was better than her idea of filling our trousers and distributing around the park opposite, great escape style ), it soon became clear that we would run out of garden before we did soil, so will be ordering a mini skip tomorrow, my back is hurting already

Those skips can be darn expensive,Primus ,..I love a project like yours,maybe you can post some pics,...I have decking myself,..but wished I had gone for a patio area,with steps leading up to the patio door,..the reason being,...decking is so hard to keep clean,plus you have to be careful what you place on it,as it can rot the wood,...
Primus1
York

15-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Skip came this morning, £110 for a mini skip
Still it’s the right decision we’d never get rid of all the soil, dug most of it out already, just stopped for my 1/2hour break, mrs p likes to crack the whip I’m aching already, and I’ve got a blister
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Getting the slabs level and even with each other I always find the hardest bit. No matter how level the sand on the hard core base, when you lay the slabs down one bit always seems to sink lower than the other.
the last one I did was for our greenhouse floor. Ok it was only 8 slabs two of which I cut in half to make the right size base. even those needed several checks to get them right

This is what I started with and got rid of

took out about 50 bags like this believe it or not.

So I know exactly the amount of work needed for your project
Primus1
York

16-04-2019, 11:51 AM

The slabs and sand/cement came this morning...I’ve a funny feeling we’re going to need more...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The slabs and sand/cement came this morning...I’ve a funny feeling we’re going to need more...
You always need more whatever the job is.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top