Join for free
Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Re: Notre Dame burns ---

Maybe it is gods retribution for all the trouble the French have caused over Brexit.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Part of the "Mystery Of The Cathedrals"

Shame
What mystery is that? Ken Follett explained on TV how it could burn so quickly and easily, once the roof timbers had gone. He suggested it could be something as simple as a cigarette butt being left behind by the renovation men. I don't see any great mystery about it, although I did cry seeing the spire collapsing. It was shocking to watch such a breathtaking medieval building destroyed.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:30 AM

The husband of Salma Hayek ( who played Esmeralda in the film The Hunchback of Notre Dama ) has pledged €100 million for its restoration .

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...hayek-14338038
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thanks AT. Yes, it's really heartbreaking to see. The wonderful story of Esmerelda and the Hunchback of Notre-Dame will never seem the same again without thinking of these awful scenes at such a world-famous cathedral. I do hope they have managed to save many of the precious works of art and priceless artifacts from inside.
You are right shropshiregirl, that story gave the cathederal a fascination for those who had never seen it.
When I saw the news of the fire, I was as tearful as all the people who were in Paris watching it & grateful that I had managed to visit the original building.

I do hope that they will be able to restore it, but I know that many treasues have been lost!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The husband of Salma Hayek ( who played Esmeralda in the film The Hunchback of Notre Dama ) has pledged €100 million for its restoration .

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...hayek-14338038
Although he can well afford it, it's still a generous gesture which will (probably) stimulate other billionaires' giving:

An aerial view:

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 08:10 AM

I wonder if the renovation and building company are insured
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Maybe it is gods retribution for all the trouble the French have caused over Brexit.
No such thing as god or god's.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Heartbreaking to see such architecture destroyed before our eyes. I.m so sad to know of this. I hope they can rebuild but it will take a long time.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:34 AM

It will be rebuilt, there's no doubt about that at least 300M euros pledged already. Windsor Castle was rebuilt to its former glory after it perished back in 1992 and the fire has become part of its history. It even has stained glass windows depicting the fire.

Still a shame, as mentioned, 200 years to build but just a few hours to destroy. Very sad.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It will be rebuilt, there's no doubt about that at least 300M euros pledged already. Windsor Castle was rebuilt to its former glory after it perished back in 1992 and the fire has become part of its history. It even has stained glass windows depicting the fire.

Still a shame, as mentioned, 200 years to build but just a few hours to destroy. Very sad.

I agree with Dongle.

Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top