Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Why are ghosts normally Victorian or Edwardian?

Has anyone ever seen a caveman ghost or perhaps an Egyptian ghost in full costume? In fact, has anyone ever seen a black ghost?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Re: Why are ghosts normally Victorian or Edwardian?

I think there was a huge thirst for ghost stories in the 19th and early 20th Centuries, plus the dark and gloomy gothic Victorian buildings lent themselves to people imagining ghoulies and ghosties, and so the tradition of the 'lady in the long black or white dress' grew up.

However, there have been anecdotal 'sightings' over history of ghosts from other eras, namely, Roman soldiers, mediaeval knights, Tudor ladies and gents, headless horsemen, etc.

Personally, I don't believe in ghosts. Apart from physical tricks (of the light, etc.), the brain can also play tricks, even if those tricks can't be quantified.
As I don't believe that anything survives after death, it would be a bit daft to then believe in ghosts!

That doesn't stop me from not wanting to watch horror films, though! They terrify me, and set my imagination running riot!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Longy, l don’t believe in ghosts either. I suppose if l had seen one, l might think differently?

You are right though, when think of a ghost l think of a lady in grey. Or someone, from Victorian and Edwardian times.
In a very old pub locally, people have said they have seen a Cavalier in breeches floating about.

Why do we never see Mods, Rockers or Skinhead ghosts?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:47 PM

I have been on Ghost Walks, searched Haunted Houses, I have never seen a ghost!!!! I have felt a presence though.
If you want stories, just ask.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Yes, I am sure there are ghosts, or spirits among us! I have only caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye, but I've heard them, felt them, and only once was I frightened enough to leave the house. They are a comfort to me, and I also have so many stories!

My spirits are not Victorian at all, simply ordinary ghosts. Well, except when I visited England, looked down an elaborate staircase, and saw " a young woman about 25 in a lovely full skirted gown swirling away". That was at a bed and breakfast that was 400 years old!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 02:43 PM

I have never seen a ghost,...but I have felt a very strong presence!..I have also see an aura,around a man.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 02:46 PM

Where is that Longlegs?
I want stories.
It's not my thread though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Where is that Longlegs?
I want stories.
It's not my thread though.
I'm heeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrreeeee sweeeeeeettieeeee pieeeee.

Actually, I would be interested to hear what sort of ghosts people have seen.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:12 PM

There’s a famous story of a guy working in the merchant adventurers house here in York, saw a legion of roman soldiers complete with horses, marching through the basement,
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have been on Ghost Walks, searched Haunted Houses, I have never seen a ghost!!!! I have felt a presence though.
If you want stories, just ask.
That was me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top