Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 02:36 AM

What did you want to be when you grew up.....

....and did you realise your ambition?
Or did you end up doing something else in your working life?

I remember wanting to be a car designer. Since I was very young I was always drawing pictures of supercars.

I left school and worked in an office, then in a Ford motor parts garage. After that it was 12 years in the RAF and for the past 18+ years with a large safety clothing/maintenance equipment firm.

Wish I'd stuck with my initial ambition
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 02:44 AM

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up.....

Blimey,another tea break ???

TV was newish when I was a kid and I wanted to be a camera man or anything to do with TV but only behind the camera,never performing in front of it.But you had to be quite intelligent so that was the end of that.I ended up as an electrician so still fiddling with cables and things.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Blimey,another tea break ???

TV was newish when I was a kid and I wanted to be a camera man or anything to do with TV but only behind the camera,never performing in front of it.But you had to be quite intelligent so that was the end of that.I ended up as an electrician so still fiddling with cables and things.
That would have been a good job mate. Still, you weren't too different in the end I suppose.

No mate, I'm counting stock. Doing audits about 40ft in the air right now on a large forklift moving along some racking. Talk about being bored senseless in your work!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 02:59 AM

A dancer when I was younger. I took ballet / tap but never pursued it.
Instead I did a variety of different things. It’s funny how hidesight is always better than foresight. In the later stages of my life when I knew myself better there were many areas of work that I found myself interested in so did so.
A forest ranger would have been a good one
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:20 AM

older
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:18 AM

I wanted to be a hairdresser but I think all little girls wanted to be a hairdresser at some stage in their lives.....instead I started work in an office....maybe I would have made a better hairdresser
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:32 AM

An astronaut or a gymnast. Nothing too ambitious!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:25 AM

I wanted to be a Coach Driver, and go to all the picturesque places I had seen in books, then, Motorways came along.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:27 AM

I wanted to be a comptometer operator! I saw an office full of these really fast women clicking away at their machines and thought it looked really exciting and technical. How naive are the young .... then I had a desire to be a writer until I realised the patience, frustration, stress and enormous imaginative skill involved, so I wrote short stories for my own amusement instead.

I ended up with a boring office job for the rest of my working life and rose to the dizzying heights of secretary.

PS When I say "fast women" I'm not necessarily criticising their sexual proclivities, ha ha.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:32 AM

I wanted to go to University to study something medical - not to be a nurse or a doctor - but research or forensics. Mother was horrified and refused.

Took me a long time to do it - working full time in mundane jobs to begin with, part time jobs at night to earn the extra money, going to local uni one night per week and studying with the OU at weekends - but I achieved my BSc - and with Honours.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top