Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Steroids

I've found out today that steroids is the treatment of choice for my newly diagnosed Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

I know steroids can have a lot of unwelcome side effects.

I wondered if anybody on here has ever taken them?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 12:23 AM

Re: Steroids

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've found out today that steroids is the treatment of choice for my newly diagnosed Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

Well, there are steroids and there are steroids!

I was once prescribed them in the form of Prednisolone Forte eye drops for the treatment of uveitis.

Then there's the type that 'bodybuilders' use to inject themselves to make their muscles bigger! Not my scene, thankfully.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 05:47 AM

Don't be put off by the term 'steroid' as there are many different types.

One's own body makes steroids, in the form of oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone, amongst others.

There are two main types, corticosteroids, which are used to treat inflammatory conditions, including PMR and asthma, and anabolic steroids, which are synthetic ones used in body-building. The latter ones are the ones that have had all the bad press.

This article sums up the differences.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anabo...ference-190456

Corticosteroids are often prescribed as a short-term measure to dampen down an inflammatory process. I have had them in the past for asthma attacks. They don't really have side effects in the short term.

In some cases, they are prescribed for longer periods. You have to weigh up the risk of side effects against the risk of damage to the body from the inflammatory effects of the condition they've been prescribed for. If taken properly and under supervision, the benefits should outweigh any side effects, as with all medicines.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Firstly,you have my sympathy,Carol,my mother had the same,Polymyalgia Rheumtica.

She had a severe case,GP,put her on steroids,..she became quite puffy in her face.

I don't think they are good to take ,long term?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 07:39 AM

I don't know anything about taking them Carol but why not take them and if there are any adverse side effects you can always stop....the side effects are often different for different people....perhaps if you have any the advantages will far outweigh and disadvantages ...I wish you luck.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Don't be put off by the term 'steroid' as there are many different types.

One's own body makes steroids, in the form of oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone, amongst others.

There are two main types, corticosteroids, which are used to treat inflammatory conditions, including PMR and asthma, and anabolic steroids, which are synthetic ones used in body-building. The latter ones are the ones that have had all the bad press.

This article sums up the differences.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anabo...ference-190456

Corticosteroids are often prescribed as a short-term measure to dampen down an inflammatory process. I have had them in the past for asthma attacks. They don't really have side effects in the short term.

In some cases, they are prescribed for longer periods. You have to weigh up the risk of side effects against the risk of damage to the body from the inflammatory effects of the condition they've been prescribed for. If taken properly and under supervision, the benefits should outweigh any side effects, as with all medicines.

That very much depends on whether you have multiple health problems. Being a Diabetic, steroids are poison, since they push my blood sugar up to dangerous levels. Was prescribed Steroids for a lung problem two years ago, - blood sugar readings went to over 30 !!!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 08:18 AM

I had the same problem as you UJ, they put my sugar levels up really high, mine went upto 27, it took me days to get it back down again.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Good article here:

https://draxe.com/polymyalgia-rheumatica/

"Without treatment, polymyalgia rheumatica usually lasts for a year or more. Thankfully, it eventually does go away on its own. However, the pain and stiffness can be so severe or disruptive that many people seek treatment."

"However, it may require several months or even a year or more of steroid treatment to keep symptoms at bay"

"Unfortunately, many people trade the symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica for side effects of steroid treatment, which may include weight gain, changes in blood sugar control, decreased bone density and many other problems."

It gives 5 natural remedies for dealing with your condition. Worth a go imho before going for steroids
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Hi Carol I take short courses of steroids for chest infections but would be reluctant to take them long term.

My neighbour (aged 71) has FR and didn't get on with steroids so she stopped taking them and concentrated on her general health and reducing inflammation by making lifestyle changes including her diet, learning relaxation techniques and started pilates classes.

We are both following pretty much the same regime (but for different reasons) which includes a diet very similar to the Mediterranean diet .

She is doing very well and has very little pain.

A good article on beneficial foods ...
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320233.php
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I don't know anything about taking them Carol but why not take them and if there are any adverse side effects you can always stop....the side effects are often different for different people....perhaps if you have any the advantages will far outweigh and disadvantages ...I wish you luck.
I think I'd be careful not to stop suddenly.

Many corticosteroids need to be stopped gradually: reduced dosages over a period of time.

Ask your doctor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top