Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:55 PM

Re: Tipping

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Arriving at the airport in Egypt, someone carried my case about three yards and demanded a tip.
In 1977 my wife and 7 year old daughter went to America

First stop NY for 3 days on to Disney World

Got a cab from the airport he went thru Central Park a hell of a lot of Traffic Lights all red.

Conversation from driver (Who was not an American) Are you French answer no English I reply he then told my English was terrible.

Got to the hotel $17 fare gave a $2 tip and was slagged off by him.

Last week we spent in Miami breakfasts were free you just tipped the server which I did 10% Forth day with a hang over just ordered Toast for Breakfast Cuban waiter took my order with my wife and daughter.... toast was put up from Kitchen which he look at twice ten minutes he served it to me it was cold and soggie so very annoyed did not leave a tip

Next day Went down had a breakfast and they asked for my room number I asked why and they said "O you don't leave tips"
Explained to the waitress why and asked her to get the Cuban Pig over and would tell him to his face she bottled out and the wife then gave me a bollicking.

I go to Vegas a lot theses days and don't have any trouble with tipping there.

Tend to give more to the Beggers on the street.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Should /do you tip in a restaurant ? I see the government are trying to either stop it or make it fairer, as staff do not always get the tips.Myself Im not sure if they should be tipped or not, they are being paid to do a job just the same as anyone else, the cooks/chefs dont get a tip for preparing the meals, neither do the 'washer ups @

I think that is fair comment deylon. Funny why it ever came about to tip some jobs yet not others.
The taxi drivers, hairdressers, waitersget tipped , and yet we wouldn't dream of tipping the bus driver, check out girl, or someone behind the counter at the post office!

Oooer. Just seen we have 2 threads going on this subject, Muddy started one too.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 09:07 PM

Well I can't speak for restaurants Deylon, but for the chain burger type places, my daughter worked for a couple when she was at Uni.

The hourly rate was very poor and she relied on tips, as most of them do. They had to provide their own 'uniform', bar the waistcoat which was provided, not to mention travelling costs.

In one of the places the tips all staff earned went into a jar and a percentage of all the tips were then shared with the 'not front of house staff', ie 'cooks' etc which I thought a decent thing to do.

I used to think tipping was fine if they gave a good pleasant service, but these days most of the front of house staff don't seem to do much.

I don't eat out now in posh places...so can't comment further than that
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Tipping is wrong, everyone should take their rubbish to a council disposal site.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Got to the hotel $17 fare gave a $2 tip and was slagged off by him.
Had the same in Washington DC. Held out a tip of five dollars and got slagged off. So I said 'Sorry, but that's all I've got'. Put it back in my pocket and left.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 10:34 AM

Ah ah - my Tony doesn't believe in tipping.
He got away with it in America but we had some terrible service...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Ah ah - my Tony doesn't believe in tipping.
He got away with it in America but we had some terrible service...
New York is great for service but it doesn't extend across the whole country unfortunately.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 08:29 AM

On a Trafalgar coach tour once we were given a sheet and envelope with recommended tipping for the driver and guide per day for 14 days. There were 42 people on the coach and if everyone had given what was recommended (about 3 euros a day each) it would have worked out at 1,750 euros for each of them. That was more in tips than I was getting paid as a senior teacher.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Regarding a percentage added to a final food bill in a restaurant is it compulsory to pay

Are we entitled to refuse this added extra do you think ?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Arriving at the airport in Egypt, someone carried my case about three yards and demanded a tip.
Must have been too heavy for him to have it away on his toes!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top