Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
senile1
Virginia,USA
senile1 is male  senile1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 04:18 AM

When you think of America...........

When most people think of the United states and America, they seem not to separate the two. When using the term Americans to refer to US citizens is like using European to describe France or the UK, as neither America nor Europe are countries, they are both continents. There are about 23 independent Nations in North America alone, and 12 in South America. What is your thought ?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 05:23 AM

Re: When you think of America...........

Originally Posted by senile1 ->
When most people think of the United states and America, they seem not to separate the two. When using the term Americans to refer to US citizens is like using European to describe France or the UK, as neither America nor Europe are countries, they are both continents. There are about 23 independent Nations in North America alone, and 12 in South America. What is your thought ?
Bit like when I ask a person with a certain accent what part of American are you from and told in no uncertain terms I from Canada...which is part of North America.

Bit like I reply to a Yank when he asks if I'm British and retort NO I'm English.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 07:28 AM

We come to England every year and when people ask where we are going I always say, England and Europe although that always sounds a bit odd because the UK is part of Europe - well, just at the moment anyway.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:01 AM

I like Canadians, they are always pleased when i mention your Canadian, they dont seem keen to be known as American.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 09:59 AM

Ask a citizen of the U.S what his nationality is and (I would guess) well over 90% would answer 'American'.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Rarely meet any US citizens nowadays but in the past we had a couple of air bases close by and used to be lots of them in the local pubs. They used to love playing darts, I remember, sorry bit of a digression there but most of them did refer to themselves as American.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ask a citizen of the U.S what his nationality is and (I would guess) well over 90% would answer 'American'.
Thats true to a certain extent. In my city 90% of the population is Cuban. Yes, they are happry to have the citenzenship but they are Cubans above anything else.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
Thats true to a certain extent. In my city 90% of the population is Cuban. Yes, they are happry to have the citenzenship but they are Cubans above anything else.
Really 90%?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 02:43 PM

I am British, thank goodness I am not English!
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 02:50 PM

I find that Europeans know a lot more about the geography of the USA, Canada and South America than US people seem to know about Europe.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top