Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 07:53 PM

Pavement Parking.

Is this the end to pavement parking? I certainly hope so. It causes all sorts of problems in our village..

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...b09e12a452aac/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 07:58 PM

Re: Pavement Parking.

It's bad here as well Roxy.
It's not just those who park a few inches on the pavement, some of them park almost the whole vehicle on it, and only have the other two wheels in the kerbs.
Drives me nuts, especially on narrower pavements when there is barely room to squeeze through the space left.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Everyone who lives in my daughters cul-de-sac does it. If they all parked their cars on the road & not half & half, no one would be able to pass anyone else. Most of the residents there have more than one car, some have three & the houses were only built with little narrow short driveways. Planned long before cars got the size they are now. I'd hate it, but luckily I don't live in a cul-de-sac, we have a rat run road instead.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:13 PM

I live at the top of a long cul-de-sac and everyone parks with two wheels on the pavement on both sides of the road, some houses have three vehicles. The problem is that the houses were built in the 50/60s so only very small narrow drives. If they park on the drive they cant open the car doors.

My problem is that I use a mobility scooter and there is no room on the pavement for me to get through, so basically I gave to use the middle of the road, which is also a steep hill with a bend halfway down, so oncoming traffic meets me head on.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I live at the top of a long cul-de-sac and everyone parks with two wheels on the pavement on both sides of the road, some houses have three vehicles. The problem is that the houses were built in the 50/60s so only very small narrow drives. If they park on the drive they cant open the car doors.

My problem is that I use a mobility scooter and there is no room on the pavement for me to get through, so basically I gave to use the middle of the road, which is also a steep hill with a bend halfway down, so oncoming traffic meets me head on.
Get in touch with the council, that's dangerous & they should do something about it.
There are no disabled people living where my daughter lives, luckily. In fact most of her neighbours rent the houses.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:23 PM

It's about time something was done. When we moved house nearly two years ago, at the front we have what they call a buffer garden, where you come out of your front door onto a small path with a gravelled garden area with an open aspect. We have buses that run up and down every 20 mins, one day we were sat in the front room and couldn't believe what we saw two buses passing each other, one ran over our front garden, you could see the people up close to the window as it happened, it left a skid mark in the gravel, so hubby went down the garden and put a row of stones near to the kerb edge. It hasn't happened again, and it keeps delivery vans at bay too..

There's too many disrespectful people about where parking is concerned.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Is this the end to pavement parking? I certainly hope so. It causes all sorts of problems in our village..

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...b09e12a452aac/
What a brilliant invention!
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:37 PM

It's not just the nuisance that cars cause while they're on the pavement, it's the damage they leave behind once they've gone. Wherever you go you see broken & uneven paving flagsm which you can easily trip on, especially anyone who is not steady on their feet.
I'd vote for those new things along my road.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 08:41 PM

But...but....if those things are used not only do you have some bugger parked on the kerb but the car can't be moved coz it's got a puncture
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 09:20 PM

The sad fact is that most of our roads were designed for Victorian traffic. What can we do?

Parking partly on the pavement is a necessary evil. As has been said, parking completely on the road will mean, in some places, that other traffic cannot pass. This could include emergency vehicles.

Those who complain about parking partly on the pavement would soon complain if they needed an ambulance in an emergency which could not reach their house.

So until and unless our councils provide alternative parking areas, even if this means the removal of such things as green areas and the provision of bypasses to allow residential roads to be exactly that, I cannot see any other solution.

Needless to say, the non-motorists here will provide a different solution: drivers must all sell their cars!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top